MBA headphone jack delay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by laxPANDA13, Apr 11, 2012.

1. laxPANDA13 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 13 in macbook air and when i plug in headphones, it takes about 5 seconds for the computer to recognize them and switch the sound over. is this normal? Should i get it replaced? Thanks

2. shadowjeff macrumors regular

happens on my mba too, so i guess this is normal.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

My 2010 13" Air takes about one second to switch over...

4. laxPANDA13 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i just talked to the apple store guy, and he said our MBA's have nifty little jacks that can accept optic inputs (how, idk. I'm not that savvy), and that the computer actually analyzes the jack input before switching to the appropriate format. Guess we just have to live with it.

5. rajaesco macrumors newbie

happens on my mba too, so i guess this is normal.

6. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

happens to me too. in fact, it started when apple announced unibodies into their notebook line. so i think this is very normal.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, that's exactly what is happening. The 3.5mm jack port is actually Toslink capable, same as my iMac. the optical cables are pretty cheap on Amazon etc, and I use one to connect my MBA to my DTS system. My iMac has a permanent optical connection using the same type of cable. The delay is exactly what Apple told you....Your Mac checking which type of output you need,...It's perfectly normal..:)

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Same here. Maybe it's taking time to figure out if it's speakers or not? : shrug :

EDIT: Ah, answer is in the post above.

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Surely it should be faster than that. Can't take that long to figure out what was plugged into it.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

My MBP takes about 2-3 seconds. I think its typical.

11. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have also noticed this, and it's pretty annoying. :mad:

12. jltj macrumors member

Yep me too, on 13" mba. Sometimes have to unplug and replug the jack before the sound comes through the headphones...:mad:

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I'd rather wait a few seconds for headphones than spend who-knows-how-long searching for the setting to turn digital audio on.

Count me in as one who thinks this is how it should work. Maybe it could be faster. But maybe people would complain even more so if it occasionally "got it wrong" and heard nothing but a loud hiss from the headphones.

Michael

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I'm curious as to whether anyone is actually doing this on a MacBook Air since I'd like a way to get higher quality audio output without adding yet another USB device.

I have a 13" i5 2011 MBA, and looking on Apple's site under the specifications, the port is identified as a "headphone jack" with no mention of optic or even audio input. Looking at the user manual indicates the same. Seems odd that the MBA would have this ability but Apple wouldn't indicate it in their specs or manual.

16. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Judging from a little bit of Googling, I don't think the MacBook Airs do actually support optical audio :confused:

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Thanks, that's also what I think, in spite of what the "Apple Store guy" said. In fact, I don't think it even supports audio input via the jack. I tried searching Apple support and couldn't find anything that said it was possible. Is anybody here actually using the headphone jack on the 2011 MBA for audio input?

Well whatever, I just got an Alesis iO2 for my MBA and it does a great job for all my needs now.

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I always thought that the MBP, Mini etc have the optical headphone jack and that the MBA only has a standard analogue headphone jack. The specs on Apple's sites confirm that as well. :confused:

----------

The only way to get higher quality sound from your MBA is via USB.

You'll need to get an external DAC such as this one:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,dacs,rDac.htm

19. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Thanks. As I posted above, I now have an Alesis iO2 for my audio needs as well as MIDI keyboard: http://www.alesis.com/io2