MBA Heat Dissipation Between 11" And 13" 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ELYEN01, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ELYEN01 macrumors newbie

Which MBA 2013 do you think would dissipates the heat better? The 11" or the 13" model? Do you guys think the 13" is better due to bigger mass on the aluminum chassis?

2. simsaladimbamba

Both are quite good with heat, unless you operate it in an oven or sauna, but a 13" MBA has a larger surface area to dissipate heat, the mass difference is not really that important for that.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It seems the 11" is better, but by a couple of degrees. When Anandtech compared the 2012 models, they came up with almost the same temperature.

Not enough IMO to worry about it. Choose the size based on some other consideration, not their ability to dissipate heat.

4. M0V3M3N7 macrumors newbie

^^ Ditto.

You'd imagine the 13" can dissipate heat better due to larger internal volume as well as surface area, but thats just my through process, no tests run. To be honest, they're likely to be very similar - thats the key point. A few degrees here or there is pretty irrelevant.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had a 2011 13" MBA and now have a 2013 11" MBA. I don't really notice much difference. Both seem to run pretty cool actually - unless I'm doing something like rendering video, I almost never hear the fans.