MBA heat

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Does anyone's 11" or 13" MBA ever get too hot for their lap, even while using flash or photoshop? If so, what programs were you running? I've noticed that my wife's MBA never gets too hot and I'm considering switching from pro to air.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does anyone's 11" or 13" MBA ever get too hot for their lap, even while using flash or photoshop? If so, what programs were you running? I've noticed that my wife's MBA never gets too hot and I'm considering switching from pro to air.
It's normal for any Mac notebook to get uncomfortably warm under higher load. It has more to do with what you're running than the specific model.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature
The bottom of your Apple portable may become warm during normal use. If the computer is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable surface.
This was already answered in the other thread you started.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
USA
No, this time I was asking about the MBA. If you read the other thread, I asked the MBA question after the 18 responses and helpful discussion about the MBP, and someone suggested I write the MBA question here.

Regardless, your response is totally unhelpful in either post. I was asking for peoples individual experiences, not a statement from Apple on computers possibly becoming warm. I've notice that MBPs of any specs seem to get hotter than MBAs with the same specs, and I was wondering if other have had that experience.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, this time I was asking about the MBA. If you read the other thread, I asked the MBA question after the 18 responses and helpful discussion about the MBP, and someone suggested I write the MBA question here.

Regardless, your response is totally unhelpful in either post. I was asking for peoples individual experiences, not a statement from Apple on computers possibly becoming warm. I've notice that MBPs of any specs seem to get hotter than MBAs with the same specs, and I was wondering if other have had that experience.
If you'll notice my post in both threads, quoted from Apple, it refers to "Apple portables" which includes MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. All Mac notebooks get hot under heavy load, regardless of the model or specs. It depends on what you have running, which may be completely different than what others are running. Knowing what experience others have may have no relation to the experience you will have, due to a different mix of apps/widgets/processes running, room temperature, etc.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Everybody here will give you the same answer, because all Macbooks function the same: it will get hot if you use Photoshop on your lap. If it's uncomfortable put it on a table. The heat will not damage it.

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
My 2012 MacBook Air has been the coolest running laptop that I have ever had. Never gets hot maybe a little warm at most.