MBA heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mankar4, Aug 19, 2012.

1. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Does anyone's 11" or 13" MBA ever get too hot for their lap, even while using flash or photoshop? If so, what programs were you running? I've noticed that my wife's MBA never gets too hot and I'm considering switching from pro to air.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal for any Mac notebook to get uncomfortably warm under higher load. It has more to do with what you're running than the specific model.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature
    This was already answered in the other thread you started.

3. mankar4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mankar4

No, this time I was asking about the MBA. If you read the other thread, I asked the MBA question after the 18 responses and helpful discussion about the MBP, and someone suggested I write the MBA question here.

Regardless, your response is totally unhelpful in either post. I was asking for peoples individual experiences, not a statement from Apple on computers possibly becoming warm. I've notice that MBPs of any specs seem to get hotter than MBAs with the same specs, and I was wondering if other have had that experience.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you'll notice my post in both threads, quoted from Apple, it refers to "Apple portables" which includes MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. All Mac notebooks get hot under heavy load, regardless of the model or specs. It depends on what you have running, which may be completely different than what others are running. Knowing what experience others have may have no relation to the experience you will have, due to a different mix of apps/widgets/processes running, room temperature, etc.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Everybody here will give you the same answer, because all Macbooks function the same: it will get hot if you use Photoshop on your lap. If it's uncomfortable put it on a table. The heat will not damage it.

6. bellboy1982 macrumors member

My MBA 13" gets warm but nothing too uncomfortable. In fact it's a welcome heat here in cold Scotland.

7. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

My 2012 MacBook Air has been the coolest running laptop that I have ever had. Never gets hot maybe a little warm at most.