MBA in my backpack..

AgustinB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Hi,

Which is better to carry the MBA in a usually packed backpack? I sometimes carry heavy books and, well Boston is cold, so I usually carry extras like scarfs and gloves. I want to prevent damage to my screen do to pressure...

Thule EVA sleeve (Specs here).

Hard Candy (Specs here)

Or the out-of-stock Booq Viper (Here)

I like to use the computer without a case and I don't care about scratches. my only concern is to protect the MBA from pressure of other stuff in my backpack.

Thanks,

ps: Other products/suggestions are most welcome.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I've been carting my Air around on a daily basis for two years now in a full bag with no sleeve or anything, and it's been just peachy. It's quite doable :)

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
The Thule looks really good and has a slim profile, but apart from being waterproof, since it isn't a hard case, won't offer much protection from pressure due to books and whatnot pressing on it. Your best bet would be the Viper case. I think they are in stock on Amazon.

AgustinB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Sadly the Booq Viper for the macbook air 13, is out of stock in Amazon and in the manufacturer webpage. This last says they will available on 02/02. About crumpler, I think is too expensive considering I do have a backpack. Any other ideas?

Best,

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I was just looking for a new (smaller) messenger for my MBA and noticed the nice Timbuk2 bags are on sale on their website. They have the Nice Messengers from XS to Large (11"-17") with the padded laptop thing from ~$50-70 (over 50% off).

Otherwise I would get something like a Radtech ScreenSavr and just not worry about getting a case. That will protect your screen to some extent at least.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Booq Viper is better protection than the Hard Candy Bubble Sleeve. I received the bubble sleeve a few days ago and RMA'd it because it seemed really flimsy.

The Booq Viper is a lot more sturdy. Just got mine off amazon this monday.

AgustinB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Booq Viper is better protection than the Hard Candy Bubble Sleeve. I received the bubble sleeve a few days ago and RMA'd it because it seemed really flimsy.

The Booq Viper is a lot more sturdy. Just got mine off amazon this monday.
What size is your MBA? The Viper 13" for macbook air seems to be out of stock everywhere at least until 02/02 according to the manufacturer.

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
If you're worried about screen damage, skip the case - get a thin cloth to put between the screen and the keyboard. I have the screen issue endlessly till I did. I use a Razer Kabuto mouse mat, but most other use a Shaggymac or Radtech cloth. I have the 13" btw.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
Looks like this question's about answered .. but

I just thought I'd mention I've had an 11" Air for about 3 months now and I bought a speck case, but I find it weighs down the screen too much... so I can't speak for the 13", but I removed my speck case for now. Honestly I've found my macbook air to be incredibly durable and be responsible for scratching several other things of mine from it's awesomely thin, sharp, strong design.

iSlanderous

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm using the incase slim sleeve they sell in the apple store, its not the tightest fit but it makes me think my air is safer in my backpack. I have an Everki Titan I know 13in ultrabook in 18in laptop pocket is nuts, which is why I have the case to help fill out the pocket and protect my air.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I usually wedge the MacBook Air where I need it to fit. I've never had any issues and still do not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.