MBA in my backpack..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AgustinB, Jan 26, 2012.

1. AgustinB macrumors newbie

Hi,

Which is better to carry the MBA in a usually packed backpack? I sometimes carry heavy books and, well Boston is cold, so I usually carry extras like scarfs and gloves. I want to prevent damage to my screen do to pressure...

Thule EVA sleeve (Specs here).

Hard Candy (Specs here)

Or the out-of-stock Booq Viper (Here)

I like to use the computer without a case and I don't care about scratches. my only concern is to protect the MBA from pressure of other stuff in my backpack.

Thanks,

ps: Other products/suggestions are most welcome.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I've been carting my Air around on a daily basis for two years now in a full bag with no sleeve or anything, and it's been just peachy. It's quite doable :)

3. anirudh macrumors 6502

The Thule looks really good and has a slim profile, but apart from being waterproof, since it isn't a hard case, won't offer much protection from pressure due to books and whatnot pressing on it. Your best bet would be the Viper case. I think they are in stock on Amazon.

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Alternatively get a backpack with a built in laptop sleeve e.g. crumpler

5. AgustinB thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly the Booq Viper for the macbook air 13, is out of stock in Amazon and in the manufacturer webpage. This last says they will available on 02/02. About crumpler, I think is too expensive considering I do have a backpack. Any other ideas?

Best,

6. anirudh macrumors 6502

Those Vipers sure sell out fast! I am sure I saw the 13" Viper in stock a couple of days ago!! As far as cases and sleeves go, the Booq offers the most protection. 02/02 isn't that far away, sure you can't wait until then?

This is a good alternative
    http://sfbags.com/products/macbookair-smartcase/smartcase-macbookair.php

If you are looking into backpacks, check out the Thule 32L Crossover.

7. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I was just looking for a new (smaller) messenger for my MBA and noticed the nice Timbuk2 bags are on sale on their website. They have the Nice Messengers from XS to Large (11"-17") with the padded laptop thing from ~$50-70 (over 50% off).

Otherwise I would get something like a Radtech ScreenSavr and just not worry about getting a case. That will protect your screen to some extent at least.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Hard Candy or Booq Viper is my suggestion out of those 3. I'd definitely go with a shell rather than a sleeve (which Thule indicates). Those shells would prevent anything in your pack from pressing onto it.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Booq Viper is better protection than the Hard Candy Bubble Sleeve. I received the bubble sleeve a few days ago and RMA'd it because it seemed really flimsy.

The Booq Viper is a lot more sturdy. Just got mine off amazon this monday.

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'd put it in a Waterfield sleave and THEN put that in the backpack.

11. AgustinB thread starter macrumors newbie

What size is your MBA? The Viper 13" for macbook air seems to be out of stock everywhere at least until 02/02 according to the manufacturer.

12. Mikesus macrumors 6502

13. minnus macrumors 6502

If you're worried about screen damage, skip the case - get a thin cloth to put between the screen and the keyboard. I have the screen issue endlessly till I did. I use a Razer Kabuto mouse mat, but most other use a Shaggymac or Radtech cloth. I have the 13" btw.

14. torana355 macrumors 68020

Now that is a cool sleeve, ive already ordered my Waterfield sleevecase but if i don't like it i may get that g-form one.

15. Mikesus macrumors 6502

16. torana355 macrumors 68020

17. anirudh macrumors 6502

18. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Looks like this question's about answered .. but

I just thought I'd mention I've had an 11" Air for about 3 months now and I bought a speck case, but I find it weighs down the screen too much... so I can't speak for the 13", but I removed my speck case for now. Honestly I've found my macbook air to be incredibly durable and be responsible for scratching several other things of mine from it's awesomely thin, sharp, strong design.

19. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

That is one UGLY case. Glad it offers protection.

20. iSlanderous macrumors regular

I'm using the incase slim sleeve they sell in the apple store, its not the tightest fit but it makes me think my air is safer in my backpack. I have an Everki Titan I know 13in ultrabook in 18in laptop pocket is nuts, which is why I have the case to help fill out the pocket and protect my air.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually wedge the MacBook Air where I need it to fit. I've never had any issues and still do not.

22. Mikesus macrumors 6502

They go in a backpack and def keep things safe when banged around at airports etc...

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It was the 13" model