MBA in the sun !?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by snakes-, Jul 31, 2011.

1. snakes- macrumors regular

has anyone tested his MBA in the sun and can say something about the Disply and brightness?

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The screen visibility is okay, but I must subconsciously sit to avoid having direct light hit the display panel. Brightness is set at 100%.

But to be candid, I'm usually looking for shade because I don't like the idea of a lot of UV radiation on my skin.

3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Let me tell you a story.

Last week, I went on a vacation. A wonderful vacation. Lots of sunshine and plenty of fresh ocean air. What made the experience even better was having my new MacBook Air with me, with its sleek design and knifelike sharp edges. I had been simply amazed at how much I could do with such an affordable device. Why, just hours earlier, in a panicked search to no avail for a long flat knifelike utensil to spread some jam on my toast, I quickly realized that the sharp edges of my Macbook Air, while not serrated, would suffice. And suffice it did indeed! Jam on toast never tasted so good. My investment had already paid for itself! So of course it was absolutely clear that I must take my wonderful multi-purpose tool with me on my cruise. A vacation in the sun.

I had never imagined in my entire life that a device such as this would make me so happy. Deliriously delighted, really, like a naive young child who found an unwrapped, albeit delicious, lollipop on the ground, and went prancing back to his mother, who then promptly scolded him. So there, on the sun deck I stretched myself out, proud of what I presented as onlookers looked on. Of course, however, and I hadn't realized it at the time, they were not admiring my toned lean physique, but rather the sleek aluminum masterpiece sunbathing besides me. No, it was not a beautiful robotic female companion, but rather my MacBook Air. But I was concerned. Concerned for my skin, as it had already started to bake in the warm sunshine. I asked a fellow vacationer to apply some sunscreen to my back, and she did so, willingly, but I sensed that she kept one watchful eye on my Air. I felt uneasy, realizing that the attraction my MacBook Air was getting, may have been for sinister reasons. I pondered, did she want to steal my precious? As I continued to contemplate others' intentions, I had not realized the sunscreen applicator had already walked away. I think she had asked me something, but I was deep in thought and hadn't heard her. She must've felt ignored, and thus left me. Me and my Macbook Air. My precious.

I shrugged it off, positioned myself on the lounge chair, and situated my MacBook Air on my lap. In a proud and glorious moment, I heard the loud start-up ring. It was happening. It was actually happening! I smiled from cheek to cheek. A smile that could've only been a result of pure and absolute bliss. Seconds later, I was presented with a bare desktop with a view into another spiraling galaxy. Ah, a world in my own hands, as I sat on the cruise ship, bathing in the sunlight. But what is this? I could see many a reflection, even though I had turned up the display brightness to maximum. The glossy display, while anti-glare, was failing me! I was in disbelief, and my smile quickly disappeared as my mouth gaped open and my brow furrowed. I could still see the contents of my screen, but colors appeared washed-out against the powerful sunlight. My disbelief quickly developed into irritation and even a hint of anger. My reflection in the display mouthed several harsh words in utter discontent. Just as quickly as the pride had come to my being, it left and was replaced by frustration.

Moments later, I realized that I must retreat to my shaded cabin. As I had spent so much money on my wonderful precious, I had little to spend on a decent room, so I was left with a small cabin with no ocean view. It didn't matter though. As long as I had my MacBook Air. And thus, I spent the remaining seven glorious days in my confined cabin. But I was in sheer ecstasy, as I had my MacBook Air to keep me company. And until the Ivy Bridge update, when I will look at my current precious and scoff, it will continue to bring me more pleasure than I ever thought I deserved.

4. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Was it the LG panel?

5. snakes-, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

i think you have with both displays problems in the sun. (Samsung & Toshiba)
    to drink a coffee in the sun is not easy......:(

if you want fun in the sun with a mac you need Antiglare, this option you can order only with MBP......
    hm i dont know what i do now....
    waiting of next gen MBA and hope Antiglare is onboard.
    or buy the MBA and cry in the sun hmmmmm.....
    i need help with my decision.

thanks ritmomundo for the nice story.its funny and sad together.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've only had my MBA for a couple months and I don't think I've used it in the sun. Why does it matter to you so much? How often will you be using it in the sun?

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I totally thought you were going to say: What made the experience even better was not being connected to the web AT ALL. Alas, we have very different definitions of relaxing.

8. ritmomundo, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

9. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I don't think anyone would really be able to use anything while in the sun without being brutally conflagrated. :rolleyes:

10. Bottomsup macrumors regular

I frequently use mine outside on sunny days while drinking beers or coffee :)

In direct sunlight its not so good, but in the shade of my patio umbrella the screen looks great.

My w500 lenovo by comparison is completely unusable in the same conditions.

I've never had a mac before my 2010 and 2011 airs but I'm happy with the screen in the aforementioned conditions. My windows machine would have been a non starter.

11. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

Having worked outdoors for many meetings, as I have been in the construction industry as a manufactures rep for 20+ years I can tell you laptop + direct sunlight suck. End of story. I've tried all sorts of films and aftermarket gadgets, it simply doesn't work. The Sun is the biggest badass LED bulb in the universe and nothing in a 15" screen is going to out power the sun.

Moral of the story.... find some shade. :)

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Right now where I'm at it is 108º Fahrenheit outside. I don't think I would want to be outside with or without a laptop.

14. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of Thinkpads with 600+nit screens for working in bright outdoor environments - but yeah I agree. 300nits (the average MBP panel / modern LED backlit PCs) is bare minimum, and then the sun had better not be right overhead...

15. go4theko macrumors member

wow what a way to waste what sounds like a beautiful vacation. Why dont you put down you new macbook and enjoy other things. Staying on your computer while on vacation is counterintuitive. That is unless in your normal life you dont have access do your macbook which i highly doubt

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No kidding! If it stays this hot and dry, I think my eyes will start to get a bluish glow...

17. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I do not think that it is a good idea to use an Air in the hot sunshine since its metal case will make you feel burnt and since reading the screen in such a circumstance will certainly cause eye strain quickly.

18. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Actually, you hit it on the nose. During my normal daily routines, I do not have access to my precious MacBook Air. As an integral member of a scouting team for a private Romani-Czech-Japanese circus, I spend many of my days traveling to the most exotic locations of the world, such as the Great Bottomless Pit of Babylon, the rare White Patch of Antarctica, and the legendary Land of the Tattooed in North Dakota. Luckily for me, the only supplies I need to carry while I work are my trusty Moleskine notebook and my vuvuzela, which I was fortunate enough to pick up during last year's World Cup. I can't even begin to tell you how many times that vuvuzela has saved my life. In fact, I can count them on one hand! When absolutely necessary, I have access to a fellow circus-quarian's '95 PC running Windows 98 Plus. Yes, it may be considered slow, but it gets the job done :) During the moments when I'm not diligently working, my time is occupied by my beautiful Russian bride (I won't say if she was mail-order or not) and, occasionally, a glamorous, yet mutual, mistress of ours.

So as you can see, the only times I can allow myself to truly relax and enjoy the company of my MacBook Air are during my vacations. Sometimes I need to get away from the daily hustle and bustle of life, which includes trekking through and bonding with nature or spending time with those most dear to me. I need to sieze those priceless fleeting moments to connect with the outside world through this marvelous invention we call the world wide web, endless websites such as Facebook and Twitter, and of course, my precious, my MacBook Air.

19. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Is it an i7?

20. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

You bet! Nothing but the best :D