MBA is it still a good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebeachbum, Oct 28, 2012.

1. thebeachbum macrumors member

thebeachbum

I have spent days reading and searching this site for the answer but still have a question.

I’m looking at my first Mac purchase in the next few days and trying to decide if the MBA 13 is still a good buy. I plan to upgrade to the I7, 8GB, and 512GB. My use is personal and work from home using Parallel or Fusion. I'm moving from a Toshiba 17" laptop the size of a small ship.

In the Apple Store, the MBA 13 looks like it would do the job, but I'm concerned about screen size and website readability. It appears that when visiting a website they stay within a certain "frame size" even if you maximize the screen. There is always lots of space on the screen not being used by the site. Do you have better readability if you go with a rMBP 15?

A loaded MBA with Apple Care is approximately $2,500 with the rMBP 15 a few hundred more. This is why I’m asking if the MBA still a good buy at this time.

Appreciate any comments.

2. WillTC macrumors newbie

The MBA 13" is still a beast of a laptop, maxed out. I see you are going to use Parallels and thats going to use up a lot of RAM. Although I think 8GB wouls be sufficient. About safari, you can go beyond the frame size you mentioned by going fullscreen with safari. Look that up on Google.

My father uses a MBA, wheras I use a 15" rMBP. There is a huge difference between the MBA and rMBP screens. Text and Safari is so much crisper on the rMBP.

To sum it all up, get what you think is best for you.

Good luck :)

3. bubbleboyjones macrumors member

i'd worry more about what you want over whats a good buy. I have an 11" Air maxed out and its an extremely capable machine. To do over I would get a 13" rMBP instead. The screen is that much better.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When it comes to value for price, the MacBook Air is still a very good buy :)

5. tiwizard macrumors regular

If you're referring to hitting the green "plus" button, that will happen on any Mac. You need to drag the window to full screen.

If you're not referring to that button, then that is the website's design and cannot be changed no matter what computer you're on.

In short, that's not the MBA's fault.