MBA Keyboard Skin

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ifti, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Looking to buy a MBA 11"

Anyone use a keyboard skin with theirs (I hate glossy keys!!)?
    Does it touch the MBA screen, and if so, other then a slight mark to wipe off, does that cause any problems?

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

i've read abotu this issue in some product reviews on amazon, but don't have firsthand experience.

what keyboard covers are people usually getting ?

3. kjmff5 macrumors regular

I use moshi on my 13" air. amazing. thin, been using it for a year and it still works like a charm. does imprint onto the screen...only draw back. otherwise highly recommend.

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Can the screen be cleaned safely to remove the imprint? Does it scratch the screen?

5. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I understand the TPU skins are thinner then the Moshi etc so may not imprint into the screen when closed as much??

I have a Moshi on my current MacBook and dont like it too much TBH - a bit thicker then what Im after, and I dont like the cloudiness after a little use!

6. nariza7 macrumors member

so the moshi one still leaves imprints eh. I was actually looking to get that one, but now Im not so sure. Does it allow you to type well though? I've read that some of these keyboard protectors make it harder to type

7. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

I purchased a cheapie one for $3 (ebay) and will be trying it out on my soon-to-be-received 2013 MBA 13". I figured for $3 it would be a useful experiment. My keyboards tend to get really yucky and I'd like to keep this one as pristine as possible.

8. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

I have the moshi on my MBP, i bought it after some of my keys got extremely grubby :eek: works great and the other day i spilt some (not much) pepsi on my mac and the moshi saved it :D

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

After months of going naked and having to q-tip clean the keyboard once-a-week or so, I grew tired and bought a cheapy KB cover. Does leave imprints but not bad. Keeping it. Makes cleaning chore less time consuming. Takes some "crispiness" from the keyboard but everything in life has a downside right?

Wear screen if u clean it? YES! with every wipe you are wearing the screen another 0.000002 microns. So what u gonna do? We're not telling you to use any caustic chemical. I use a solution 50% alcohol (NOT the rubbing kind) and 50% water, clean t shirt, and finish with a microfiber.

10. davideotape macrumors 6502

i bought a moshi for my 11" and i have 2 questions:
    - does anyone use "help" to keep the cover on? i find when im resting in bed ill sometimes exhale a sigh and the thing will go flying off the keyboard and ill have to catch and reset it.

- i was exporting some vid and the thing started to get hot so i instinctively removed the cover to allow more air into the system. did it make a difference at all or is that not how that works?

11. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

12. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

No. They keyboards aren't the same size.

OP, try the cheap <$10 ones on Amazon. I got one and it fits fine and works fine. Feels a little weird at first, but my fingers have totally adjusted to it. I guess I just unconsciously tap the keys harder now, but it feels OK now and my keyboard doesn't end up with that nasty glossiness over time.

13. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Then where the heck is the 13" version other people have?

14. dljeffery macrumors regular

What exactly are the issues you have? And is the cloudiness on the cover? Or the screen?

15. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I bought a cheapo TPU skin from eBay. Its great! Looks and feels exactly like the Moshi, but leaves no imprints etc whatsoever! Very happy with it.

16. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

It was the actual skin - as its used it kinda gets 'cloudy'. You then have to wash it off and give it a good scrub - but its not on the finger side - its the other side that touches the keys - so no it wasnt because of dirty fingers! lol

I tried rinsing the skin and it stayed. So I got a damp cloth and slowly and gently scrubbed each key from the inside, and that bought it up like almost new again. It just gets that cloudyness to often for my liking.

17. klover macrumors 6502a

I've owned over a dozen Macbooks - every one got a Moshi protector. They're thin, clear, light, and unobstrusive. They will, however, get cloudy over time but it beats the alternative of a hair, dust, and grime littered keyboard.

18. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

I put a skin on immediately upon receiving my 13" MBA in June. No human fingers (mine at least) have touched the bare keys. No problems at all with the keyboard skin. No marks left on the screen. I bought a cheapie $3 one off of ebay. Works great, doesn't impact my typing ability.

19. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Which did you go with? Maybe provide a link..?

20. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380642280973

Many others just like it, some are cheaper, but I didn't want to wait for a shipment from China or Korea so I opted to pay a little more.