MBA Late-2010 owner at the crossroads

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fontane, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. Fontane macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #1
    Like many others, I'm having a difficult time trying to decide whether or not to upgrade.

    I own the Late-2010, 13-inch, 128GB, 4GB and absolutely love it. It runs perfectly for my needs: music, surfing, word processing (web based), etc. I don't have any MS products on it and don't run VM or any of that. The Late-2010 model is so good!

    I'm on the fence to upgrade to the 2012 13-inch, 128GB, 8GB because my job ends soon and I'm taking off the next two years to travel and work on some side projects. My thinking is to get a new MBA now (while I have a good income) for the so-called "future proofing" so I don't have any problems while I'm traveling and unemployed (but with money in the bank). I do not have Applecare on my 2010 (stupid me!).

    So, what do you guys think? Should I upgrade now or will the late-2010 be just as sweet for at least the next two years?
     
  2. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

    cedwhatev

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    I was in the same predicament.. I have the 2010 11.6" Ultimate, and decided to hold off. The big thing for me was battery life, and seeing as how the 2012's battery life seems pretty much on par with the 2010's, I'm sticking with what I've got. I personally think the 2010's are amazing, and I've had no problems with mine, so I'm keeping it.... for now. :D
     
  3. currahee2100 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2009
    #3
    Save the money and use it to have more fun on your trip would be my choice ;) If it ain't broke, don't replace it! It still needs your TLC!
     
  4. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2009
    Location:
    Long Beach, CA
    #4
    Wirelessly posted

    Unless your work-flow changes there's no need to upgrade. You can do everything you like pretty easily for the next two years.
     
  5. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #5
    I would keep the 2010, it's exactly what you want on the road with great battery life and runs cooler than the SB/IB versions. I have a 2010 13 Ult and am going to wait for Haswell or later. I use it on the road, and am going to buy a Mini/TBD setup for home.
     
  6. thehumorpolice macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #6
    Pull the trigger man and sell that 2010 on eBay! You know you want to!
     
  7. juuuice macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    #7
    I currently have a 2010 maxed out 13. I broke down last week and ordered a 2012 13/i5/8/128 model.

    The 2010 was great but the new offerings in 2012 made it a good upgrade choice. backlit kb, hd cam, ivy bridge, 8gb, usb 3. I am regretting getting only 128gb over the 256gb i previously had, but not enough to justify spending 300 more.. and this is just a hold over until the new win8 hardware comes out.
     
  8. alflavor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Whittlesey, UK
    #8
    I'd go for it - I'm in a similar boat, but I am pretty much decided on a 2012 model. Maybe if I'd not skimped on RAM in 2010, I may have skipped another year!
     
  9. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #9
    I think you could sell your 2010 MBA 13" on ebay for around $700, so the upgrade cost would be effectively halved.
     

Share This Page