MBA Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bap3221, May 27, 2015.

1. bap3221 macrumors member

Im getting a 2012 MBA 11" maybe at 290 cycles. How long will it last? My 2006 15" Macbook Pro lasted from 2007 (with previous use) to 2012 with heavy use. I used it with Adobe programs, Final Cut Pro, Maya, etc.

But the MBA is little so...how long? From 2012?

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Are you asking about battery life or machine performance?

3. bap3221 thread starter macrumors member

It’s how many years before the macbook starts showing warning signs about overheating, missing disk drive, takes really long to turn on or open applications, screen begins to fail, etc. Basically, signs that mean it will be too expensive to fix your macbook and need a new one. Im not sure how long macbook airs last compared to pros, ibooks, and so on.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Without any empirical evidence, I'd say you could easily get at least 5-6 years out of any computer, maybe even more.

Apple has done a lot to remove moving parts from their computers. SSDs are more reliable than spinning platter hard drives as they have no moving parts. The battery will eventually lose it's capacity, but they are rated for 1000 cycles. That doesn't mean that the battery will be useless after 1000 cycles, just that they expect about 80% of the original design capacity. The fans have bearings which will eventually fail, but you're probably looking at 6+ years of average, day-to-day usage (as opposed to a server/ datacenter that runs 24/7). The new MacBook has no fan so no moving parts!

You also have to take into account that components just fail. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and there's usually no prediction that a component is in failure. It could just as easily be 13 months after purchase as it could 72 months after purchase.

Finally, there's software and "keeping up with the tech". If you aren't a compulsive upgrader and you don't have to keep up with the latest software (and stick with what works) then there's no reason that in 2018 the machine won't work as good as it does today (hardware problems notwithstanding).

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Are you getting it for free, or are you paying for it?

IIFC, those MBA's would only get 300 cycles on the battery, and didn't have the long-life battery (7-9 hours) the newer ones get.

Regarding slowing down/overheating, I wouldn't expect that at all. I see it frequently with Windoze computers, but mainly because their system folder or restore points get so huge and bloated, everything grinds to a halt.

6. saudor macrumors 6502

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Just got around to replying only to see that you beat me to it. #

8. 2IS Suspended

I'm still on a late 2010 13" and thus far it exhibits none of those issues you're concerned about. It's obviously nowhere near as fast as the new ones, but it's perfectly serviceable.

9. motrek macrumors 68020

Overheating = bad fan = cheap and easy to replace, no problem.

SSD "missing" = need to replace the SSD. More concerning of a problem, and more expensive to fix, but still very easy to do.

Neither of these problems should put a MBA out of commission.

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Also, neither of these problems are specific to the MBA, but could just as easily to apply to virtually any other computer on the market.

11. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I'm using this exact same computer (well, mine's more of the top-end configuration, not sure what you're getting), but apart from the battery efficiency of Haswell-based models (2013+), it's still plenty fast and holding up well. Apple's batteries are pretty good to begin with, and don't necessarily fall off on capacity, but that magic 80% is what to expect after a few years of use. Still, that's easily replaceable, as is the SSD (unlike the newer models which don't have any third-party SSDs available yet).

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You can replace the SSD by buying a 3rd party drive and installing it yourself. It's not that hard to do; I recently just upgraded the 64gb drive in my 2012 MBA with a 240gb one.

Even the battery can be swapped out for cheap. Seems the only thing that can kill it is a motherboard failure, or you simply desiring better specs (like the longer battery life that haswell brings).