MBA love....with these exceptions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Shoeguyster, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Shoeguyster macrumors newbie

I'm three weeks into use of my new MacBook Air and it is a beautiful, well designed machine which makes its few shortcomings all the more irritating. Fast an pretty in all ways that count. First flaw, the MagSafe2 power connector sucks. This is the third Mac Book with a MagSafe connector I've had and the first two were great. On this MBA if the cat brushes his tail against the power cord it decouples and I have to go chasing the connector under the desk. The "Mag" part of the plug is too weak and the constant falling out drives me to distraction. Secondly the trackpad/selection button combination is not intuitive and I still haven't got the hang of it. I'm forever clicking too high on the trackpad and of course nothing happens. I understand the desire to have a bigger trackpad, but something to give the area of the device that takes the "mouse up"command a different feel would be nice. I'm going to try a piece of tape but it may make that part of the pad unresponsive.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

MS2: Inspect closely with a loupe whether the plug is sitting all-the-way into the socket. Notice any dirt, or loose plastic flap left over from manufacturing that prevents a tight fitting.

Trackpad: The gestures are fully configurable to whatever you want. I found the physical clicking too stiff so I just configured a one-finger tap=click, two-fingers tap=right click.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

On the MS2 - others have had similar complaints.

On the trackpad, like anything, you will get used to how it works.

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

As Mrbobb suggests, sounds like something's wrong? Mine does not decouple easily at all - no way a cat brushing its tail against the power cord is going to decouple it. But maybe there's inconsistency in the assemblage/parts and I got lucky with mine.

5. DistantOrigin macrumors newbie

Have you tried
    http://www.snuglet.com/
    I don't personally use one on my MBA but it may be helpful. (Maybe other people can provide experiences?)

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My MagSafe2 attaches to my 2013 13" MBA very tightly. I literally have to pull it off. Now, the Apple-Made MagSafe 1 adapter I use to power my MBA when connected to my 27" ACD, THAT is another story. HORRIBLE! :mad:

On the trackpad, I use the "tap to click" gesture and the "two-finger right click" gesture. They work perfectly and I find them far more preferable to actually pushing on the trackpad or doing an "option-click".

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had two laptops with the old style magsafe connector. I think the plug stays in place at least as good on my 2013 MBA, probably a little better.

8. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

The Magsafe 2 on my Air is rather too strongly attached (in comparison to the Magsafe 1 on other MacBooks I have). With the 11" Air being so light, you actually feel like you have to hold the Macbook when pulling the plug, otherwise I would pull the Macbook along, thats how strong the magnets are!

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

10. iterva macrumors regular

That is infuriating indeed... Salvation is in a product called Bluelounge Sumo... :eek:

[​IMG]

11. cshel24 macrumors member

I gotta say I am loving my MBA 13. Of all the Macs I have had, this one is approaching perfection.

I guess if there was anything to complain about (not really complaining much), I guess the adapter comes off a bit too easily. Really I figure it is better for the sake of safety that it detaches really easily.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to say my MS2 is fine, maybe you got one with a weak magnet, did you try exchanging the powerpack?