Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Hello,
I do own a new MBA M1 and went to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to see how it performs. In this black level test I can not see beyond number 6, hardly 5. I also own an old MBA 2014 and it performs far better - up to number 2 at same brightness and conditions as MBA M1.

When I changed color profile to Adobe RGB 1998 or SMPTE RP 431-2007 DCI (P3) the resulted image is better and almost identical to MBA 2014 in this particular test.

So, I would like to ask other MBA M1 owners: what is your result in above test , and what is color profile you are using?

EDIT: I will post some screenshots tomorrow.

Last edited:

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
The first photo is from MBA M1, brightness around 50%, True Tone on, Color LCD profile,
second - same brightness, Adobe RGB (1998) profile,
third - same brightness, SMPTE RP 431-2007 DCI (P3),
and the last one is from MBA 2104, roughly same brightness, Color LCD profile.

All photos taken in semi dark room to avoid screen reflections.

Could the MBA 2014 display be better than the one on MBA M1 with their default settings and color profiles?

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0691.jpeg
    IMG_0691.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 530

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
I’m making my own with my colormeter
The first photo is from MBA M1, brightness around 50%, True Tone on, Color LCD profile,

Could the MBA 2014 display be better than the one on MBA M1 with their default settings and color profiles?

True Tone makes the display to warm. Don’t use it.

you need to buy a colormeter to make sense of what your trying to do.
You want deltae under 1.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Sadly, with True Tone off, the result is no better to me.
Initially my belief was the display is good enough and I'm a bit disappointed that the MBA 2014 display is far better in this particular test.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
And what about SMPTE RP 431-2007 DCI (P3) color profile. I read it was intended for projectors and cinema, not for computer displays. Anyway, with this color profile I found the resulted image has superior black levels contrast, still not sure if other colors are exact on MBA display or someway shifted to green?

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Sadly, with True Tone off, the result is no better to me.
Initially my belief was the display is good enough and I'm a bit disappointed that the MBA 2014 display is far better in this particular test.
The display is perfect it’s under deltaE 1 and well that’s perfect.

but you need a spectrometer or colormeter to profile it right. You can’t do that by the eye.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
The display is perfect it’s under deltaE 1 and well that’s perfect.

but you need a spectrometer or colormeter to profile it right. You can’t do that by the eye.
Well, that would be overkill for me, given my simple day to day tasks with my MBA.
Just wonder what others think about and do they use the in-built color profile or not.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: Removed.

Edit: Weird, I'm getting inconsistent results so I'll do everyone a favor and just observe. LOL

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My M1 MBP at 50% brightness. Sorry for reflection:

1624222860367.jpeg

Whenever I hook up my 4k monitor to my M1 it goes a little crazy and ups the saturation like nuts - whites are way out of balance (4k monitor below):

1624222888682.jpeg

When connected to my 4k monitor, the onboard MBP monitor is similar to the 4k - saturation way up, really weird. <shrug> lol.

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
My M1 MBP at 50% brightness. Sorry for reflection:

View attachment 1795815
Looks like both MBP and MBA are quite identical (subjectively). You could take a look at my last photo - it is from MBA 2014 - far better up to square 2. Both are running same macOS, same version 11.4.

Btw, are you on default Color LCD profile, do you have True Tone on or off?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
When I changed color profile to Adobe RGB 1998 or SMPTE RP 431-2007 DCI (P3) the resulted image is better and almost identical to MBA 2014 in this particular test.
These are not display profiles and as such won't give accurate results in other apps, so you'd be best off not using them as your display profile. Have you tried using the built-in calibration process in the Displays system preference?

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
These are not display profiles and as such won't give accurate results in other apps, so you'd be best off not using them as your display profile. Have you tried using the built-in calibration process in the Displays system preference?
Yes, I did try an advanced calibration, not very useful and it is really slow and not accurate process IMO. Not working at all for me.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Looks like both MBP and MBA are quite identical (subjectively). You could take a look at my last photo - it is from MBA 2014 - far better up to square 2. Both are running same macOS, same version 11.4.

Btw, are you on default Color LCD profile, do you have True Tone on or off?
True Tone on. On default color profile.

Reactions: ludmiloff

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Again I'm no expert but I'm pretty happy with the text/look of this MacBook. I came from using fairly dull Dell laptops for the last few decades so I've always really enjoyed my MBP screens/text/readability.

I can read on these things all day and not feel a thing. :D

I usually stay away from those sites because I end up spending hours trying to understand it and just getting more confused/thinking there's a problem. (Just me, I'm not recommending you do this, LOL). :)

Reactions: ludmiloff

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Again I'm no expert but I'm pretty happy with the text/look of this MacBook. I came from using fairly dull Dell laptops for the last few decades so I've always really enjoyed my MBP screens/text/readability.

I can read on these things all day and not feel a thing. :D

I usually stay away from those sites because I end up spending hours trying to understand it and just getting more confused/thinking there's a problem. (Just me, I'm not recommending you do this, LOL). :)
The screen is indeed good enough. Initially I was concerned about small screen size as I have had bad experience with my old MBA 2014. No complains though. Even my Dell 4k monitor is slightly better or almost the same in this particular black levels test. So, as you said, I would better stay away from those tests and start using my MBA the right way :).

Still I'm curious why the hell the MBA 2014 has better results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.