Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Have been using a cheap Anker hub, that switches off my external peripherals for what I assume is for "power saving" and it's annoying the heck out of me. The onboard HDMI only runs my external monitor at 50 Hz, which is also killing my eyes.

I know that Thunderbolt is $$$, but any suggestions for a reasonably priced external Thunderbolt hub that will allow me to run 3440x1440 at closer to 85-100 Hz (either HDMI or Displayport)? USB A and a SD card slot would also be nice, but aren't dealbreakers. I don't need ethernet.

Thanks for suggestions.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Might want to look at the specs for the smaller OWC hub. It’s currently on sale for less than the usual $150. I’ve had one for a year, excellent. I do not have a display connected.

Willo34

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Netherlands
I use this one: works great. It's in Europe though, it's a Swiss brand, so if you're in the US not sure if you can get it. In your currency it's about 100$, if you're in the States.
LMP USB-C 8-in-1 HUB
It has 3x USB-A, mini and micro SD card slot, extra Thunderbolt (USB-C), HDMI and Ethernet. Been using it for a few years now, no probs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.