Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsimonwoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
hi...got 1.6/80 MBA, charged a few times...now I am not able to charge..is it a Magsafe's Fault? worried now as I will not be able to use for work if the charger is not working at all...

anybody can help? I have ensure it is plugged correctly...tried using the long extension and the short one..both not charging...try both ways to plug the head into MBA, not working...the LED indicator on the power head no light...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Try to reset the PMU. Shutdown the computer, then hold down Command+Option+Power+Shift and the computer should start up (perhaps restarting), then try charging. Apparently the MBA's PMU (at least in early models) is not functioning correctly, this should reset it. Afterward, run the battery for a full cycle and everything should be fine.

TEG

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
That didn't take long – until the first problem showed up. Let's see how many others will have power problems on this thing – besides charging very slowly, of course.

Simon, bring it to your nearest store and try an adaptor there – it doesn't matter if it's one from the MBP, MB or Airbook (it can still plug in). If that works, you will know it's "merely" the charger. If it doesn't, your Airbook it busted.

macsimonwoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
tried PMU reset...cannot....i will use my office macbook power adaptor to try tomolo...if it can..then is adaptor fault..i hope this is the case...if not, i got to change another one i supposed...haiz...

fyi..the power indicator blink 4 times then goes off...i plug out again..then plug in...blink 4 times...goes off ....i am now using my reserved batt....

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
tried PMU reset...cannot....i will use my office macbook power adaptor to try tomolo...if it can..then is adaptor fault..i hope this is the case...if not, i got to change another one i supposed...haiz...

fyi..the power indicator blink 4 times then goes off...i plug out again..then plug in...blink 4 times...goes off ....i am now using my reserved batt....

The 4 blinks is an error. However, I wonder if it would give that error also when (if) the airbook is faulty. My guess would be that it will. Especially since the 4 blinks show that the charger (and the LED) gets current, but that it cannot get it into the Airbook.

Come to think of it: Take a close look at he charger plug (with the led). Are one or more of the pins depressed? I'm thinking that that might be the fault – it's a longshot, but it's worth checking.

macsimonwoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
i have confirmed that it is the magsafe power adaptor fault, cuz i can charge my MBA with the macbook charger....so my first apple computer has a faulty magsafe adaptor..i hope i am the first and last one...

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
i have confirmed that it is the magsafe power adaptor fault, cuz i can charge my MBA with the macbook charger....so my first apple computer has a faulty magsafe adaptor..i hope i am the first and last one...

The (albeit a small one) upside to this is that you didn't need to send the entire machine back. But it doesn't bode well for the quality of those adaptors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.