Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caralvarez24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Hey guys, got a little issue here. I have had a MBA since about march of this year. Just recently I on two occasions the computer has all of a sudden had this loud high pitch whine. It has only happened twice and at both times (if I remember the 1st time correctly) I wasn't really doing anything on the computer. Today specifically it was just sitting idle on my desk. Not sure where its coming from maybe speakers? Any idea to what this is? Should I be setting up an appointment to see a Mac Genius?

steezr

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I don't think apple will replace any parts for it. Some CPU's make high pitch noise when going into a form of powersave mode i.e when it's not working. Had it on my old Macbook, my friend got it on his ****** Compaq laptop and I get calls about it all the time at work (I work as tech support).

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Is it loud or just high pitched? If it's just a really high pitched noise, it's probably an idle processor and is nothing to worry about, it happens to a lot of computers and is generally not covered under warranties.

Caralvarez24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Its loud and high pitched. It cannot be anything normal. It sounds as if it is coming from the speakers as some sort of interference. I doubt its just the processor it seems way to loud for that.

msinco

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
Happened to me once, it's a very high scary buzz, but no worries about it, mate -- it's normal.

No i disagree, it is not normal.
It sounds like the fan is hitting/clicking/rattling. Initially i did not mind it, but as time goes by, the noise is now is high and pitchy as if its about to burst. Furthermore, the fan speed drops to 0rpm (based on smcfancontrol and istat) and goes back to 2500rpm again. Sometimes, it stays stuck at 6200rpm making high pitch noise and doesnt drop to 0. This usually happens when i move my MBA, anytime, the notebook is slant/tilted a bit, it goes on this sound rampage.

Am planning to go to an authorized apple service center, as we don't have an apple store here. Hopefully, they'll be able to fix this problem.

I'm already using Coolbook so the temp is not really that hot. i rarely hit 75degrees C.

dudup

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Lisbon, Portugal
No i disagree, it is not normal.
It sounds like the fan is hitting/clicking/rattling. Initially i did not mind it, but as time goes by, the noise is now is high and pitchy as if its about to burst. Furthermore, the fan speed drops to 0rpm (based on smcfancontrol and istat) and goes back to 2500rpm again. Sometimes, it stays stuck at 6200rpm making high pitch noise and doesnt drop to 0. This usually happens when i move my MBA, anytime, the notebook is slant/tilted a bit, it goes on this sound rampage.

Am planning to go to an authorized apple service center, as we don't have an apple store here. Hopefully, they'll be able to fix this problem.

I'm already using Coolbook so the temp is not really that hot. i rarely hit 75degrees C.

It's not like that sound. It's just like a long beep.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
It's happened to me a couple of times to. Out of the blue and sounds like a warning/firmware type of speaker-tone beep. There was another thread about this a few months ago with a link to a youtube vid.

As far as I know, mine's been fine and no one has linked the noise to any problem. It seems to be more annoying and startling than an anything wrong thing.

Caralvarez24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Orlando, Fl
NC Macguy I think you are describing my exact sound. It has only happened twice, though the two times were relatively close to eachother. I guess we'll just see, the computer seems to be running fine though

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
My 1.6/80 did it just now too for the first time since purchasing 2 months ago. Volume off, no apps running, just after it finished starting up. Very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.