MBA... Maybe the BEST Mac I've ever Owned!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by techmangonewild, Feb 27, 2011.

1. techmangonewild macrumors newbie

techmangonewild

Yep, I know it is quite a statement but having owned lots of different Macs over the past 20 years, this may very well be the best combination of features of any Mac I've owned. I bought a standard 13"/128GB/2GB MBA.

I love the instant on, instantaneous response! It seems way faster than the processor would indicate.
    I love the thin form (this is a carry over from my choice of women too)
    I love the lightness. I didn't realize that a pound would make such a difference in the user experience.
    I love the battery life!
    but,
    I wish it would pay my bills for me.

For those on the fence (like I was), I'm Loving this computer!

2. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

3. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

By far the best laptop I've used. One thing I would definitely install is clicktoflash or something similar. Scrolling on web pages becomes much smoother.

4. 2IS macrumors 68030

The MBA is the first Mac I've ever owned and only the 2nd Apple product I've owned (first being my iPhone) so naturally it's the best Mac i've owned, but more over, it's the best laptop I've owned which is saying a lot as I was quite fond of my Lenovo that it replaced.

I 2nd the ClicktoFlash suggestion. Not so much for resource saving for me, but it's an effective ad blocker at the same time which I've found to be just as if not more beneficial.

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I just bought my wife one to replace her early 2008 MacBook and I SO want my own!!!

6. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Beautiful machine.

I still cannot believe how fast the boot is on the standard 2GB.

I am returning it today and getting the 4GB, good thing I am in the 14 day window period.

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I can sit forever with it on my lap. I've stopped working at my desk at work..

8. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Sold my 15" original unibody MBP to buy my little MBA and I haven't regretted it for a second. Its excellent. I'm considering selling my iPad 'cause the MBA is so portable.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've used the MBA at the Apple Store and yes, it's pretty sweet.

But do you think the "snappiness/speed" you speak of has a lot to do with the SSD memory? Cause I'm on the fence about putting an SSD in my iMac in anticipation that I can capture some of the lightning in the bottle of the MBA (without buying one).

10. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Yeah that will speed it up like the Air. It won't have instance on, but it'll be fast. I'm going to be doing the same thing with an old 2,1 Mac Mini.

11. 2IS macrumors 68030

It absolutely is. I own several computers both desktops and laptops. My MBA is the only laptop with SSD and I also have one PC desktop that has an SSD. In short, my PC desktop and my MBA are the only computers I use because of their snappiness and response. I say go for the upgrade, if you spend a lot of time at your imac, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

12. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I agree and I have the cheapest 11" (specs in sig) and I absolutely LOVE it. I usually own 15" laptops but I'm waiting for the MBP redesign. I've had this air since nov, and it's my favorite Apple computer to date. I've owned multiple iBooks, MacBooks, Pros, and iMacs, and this is my favorite.
    GET AN AIR!

13. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Ever since I switched to the Air, I feel like I cannot be "normal" using it. I also feel like I have to be gentle because of the thinness, otherwise I might break it!

14. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

15. jayo123456 macrumors regular

only thing i don't like about it is the attention it gets.

I hesitate to pull it out of my bag sometimes. Everytime I do, people ask me all sort of questions. Kind of getting annoying tbh.

16. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Look into coolbook aswell you can use it undevolt the processor

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

How much extra battery time can you get that way?

18. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I share the OP's enthusiasm for the new MBA. I have had my 13 inch Ultimate MBA for four months and love it. It handles everything the MBP it replaced did and with just as much speed, although the MBA weighs less than half as much. I have been using Apple laptops for 8 years and the MBA is the best by far.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Shoot, I knew this would be the answer to my question. The problem is investing in an SSD. I could only go for a 128gb although the smart choice is for a 256gb. The idea would be to have my OS on the SSD and my 2.5TB of data an external case. It's an iMac 7,1 (mid-07) which I've already installed a 1.5TB into.

20. boca76 macrumors member

I have the base 11" model and it's the best laptop ever.
    What I love most is that I never hear the fan and it doesn't get hot at all.
    I can surf on the couch having the MBA on my stomach for hours.

Could coolbook harm the MBA ?

21. donster28 macrumors 65816

I definitely agree 100%. This is the best MAC I've owned, ever. Makes me remember the pain I endured with the the very first Mac Mini. Man, that thing was atrociously sloooooooow.:mad:

I'm proud to say I only have the base 11" (2/64)...I need no more.:)

22. simeezee macrumors member

the 11inch MBA base model is my first Mac. So I can't really compare to other Macs. But for sure this is the best laptop I ever owned.

23. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Absolutely the best Mac and best computer I have ever owned. My first computer was a Commodore 64 and my first Mac was the 128k Mac in 1984 which I bought in California when I was a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. $2500 was a lot of money on a Marines pay!
    First, once you have gone SSD you can never go back. The Airs SSD is closely integrated with the OS providing instant on and off which is icing on the cake. The screen res is perfect for the size and the light weight and thinness means I take it everywhere with me without thinking about it. As much as I love the Unibody 15" that was never the case with that laptop. It sat on a desk most of the time.
    The Ultimate 13' MBA has replaced my iPad and i5 iMac. I din't intend it to but it just took over for both. All the advantages of the iPad with none of the limitations, fast enough to do most things compared to the iMac.
    I have the 256GB SSD but tis only half full. I have the 500GB+ worth of files that used to be on my iMac on an external drive which is also backed up by another drive. I find that I prefer having minimal files and apps on the MBA.
    Looking forward to the next rev which I will surely snap up.

24. ozred macrumors 6502

Maybe the Best?

I should be, for the sky high price premium!

Apple pricing is nearly extortion.

25. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Hopefully by the next refresh I can comment on it. :)