MBA, MB, MBP, Mini??? I don't know!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick4597, Mar 18, 2009.

1. nick4597 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to figure out how best to incorporate a Mac (would be my first!) into my existing computer setup. For work I'm stuck with a Dell laptop which I must travel with as I work out of various offices, my home office, and travel a bit.

Desktop at home is an acceptable Dell desktop P4 running XP which I use for file downloads, torrents, iTunes, disc burning, basically anything I don't want to use my work laptop for. When working from home I dock my laptop and use a KVM to toggle between my work laptop and desktop.

So... I've been considering buying a refurb Mac - MacBook Air (yes, I've read all about the issues), Macbook, Pro or a Mini. I would really like the portability, just not sure if I really want or need two laptops. The MBA might be perfect to carry around WITH my work laptop... seems light enough.

I really want to keep it under $1500, but I know going MacBook Pro would stretch that. That $999 MBA is awfully tempting.

How do you guys incorporate your Macs with your home and work PCs?

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If the P4 desktop at home is enough for you, I'd go for the refurb MBA. It'll undoubtedly be faster than your Dell at home, and is light enough to carry around everywhere. If you think you'll need the extra power, go for the 2.0 MacBook. It is a pound heavier, but includes an optical drive, upgradeable RAM/HDD, more ports, etc. That extra pound maybe make or break it for you though. When carrying it around everywhere with you, the difference IS noticeable. I'd recommend visiting an Apple Store and determining yourself which one has the best weight and power for you. If the MB is too heavy for you, don't even bother with the MBP.

3. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I incorporate Mac's and Pc's in home and at work. As a database builder we have to ensure our fielmaker software solutions run on both platforms. We use Macbooks for training and simple testing, macbook pros for graphic work and intense scripting and the pcs to ensure what we build on the macs will work in a windows xp or vista environment.
    I guess the question is what do you need this Mac to do? Basic stuff the Air or Macbook would be great. The Macbooks to me a great little machines.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My vote would be for a new gen white macbook. Nice specs for $999. Thanks.

5. Eyedn macrumors regular

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

7. Gioman macrumors newbie

Your P4 computer doesnt seem to be restricting you in what you do (which is not very demanding work for the computer).... Thus any of the computers listed would be fine for you.

The Mini feels too over priced for its hardware (even compared to the Macbooks)... the MBP seems to be too costly, and you dont need that power anyways

I'd personally narrow the choice down to the MBA and MB... The White MB has a great price for what it offers, but maybe the obsolete design is a turn off.

Surely carrying two computers can be heavy and not very "portable", so the MBA would make this all an easier task.

8. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I would hardly call it obsolete, but to each his own.