Mba/mbp (13")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Hey. This thread is for the MBP owners which own a MBP 13" low end.
    Just want to know why you chose a MBP instead of MBA. I know there a difference in "horsepower" and price. But anything else?

Sugarray

2. froggyjo macrumors newbie

Battery life, ports, much more robust - a real laptop that you can actually use to work, travel, etc. Own both but would never buy an MBA again. Battery life is just ridiculous and how can someone seriously work with only one port?

3. Neilkot macrumors newbie

CPU: C2D 2.4GHz vs C2D 1.86GHz
    Graphs: NVIDIA 320M vs NVIDIA 9400M
    Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM vs 2GB DDR3 RAM
    Storage: 250GB 5400rpm HD vs 120GB 4200rpm HD
    Connectivity: Two USB ports, SD card, Ethernet, Minidisplay-port, Firewire 800, Audio in/out vs 1 USB, Minidisplay-port, Audio out
    Power: 10h batt life vs 5h batt life
    Price: 1199$ vs 1499$

I think they're a plenty of good reasons to choose the MBP 13" over the MBA, but it's just an opinion :p

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

-way longer battery life (honestly if youre taking your macbook air anywhere with you youre also taking the charger).

-faster (faster CPU, more RAM, etc.)

-easy to replace/upgrade RAM and HDD (it is impossible to replace RAM on the air, not sure about HDD)

-more ports (2 usb instead of 1, firewire, sd card slot)

-buillt in dvd drive (this is important for me anyway, others dont seem to care)

-stereo speakers (one on each side), MBA only has one.

-battery life is so much better on MBP 13" that im listing it again.

-it costs less

really the only thing the air has going for it is its small size and weight. they sacrificed alot to get it that small.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

And, really, it's not actually that small. Maybe when it was released, but these days there are 11.6" machines that are just as powerful and only a fraction of an inch thicker (and half the price).

I just bought a 13" i3 laptop that's almost as thin and much, much faster for $600.

6. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i bought my 13in pro cause of its price to the 15 and 17 and more power in parts to the macbook and the air and the air is not worth its price for less power