MBA&MBP or MBA or MBA/Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 3, 2011.

?

What to should I do?

1. Keep the MBA and MBP

14.3%
  2. Sell the MBP with the SSD, keep the Air without an external Display

28.6%
  3. Sell the MBP with the SSD, keep the Air, and buy a Thunderbolt Display

14.3%
  4. Sell the MBP with the original HDD, keep the Air without an external Display

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sell the MBP with the original HDD, keep the Air, and buy a Thunderbolt Display

14.3%
  6. Sell the Air keep the MBP

28.6%
  1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Hello,

Currently I have a 11" MBA (1.6 4GB 128GB SSD, and 15" MBP (2.0, 8GB, 256GB SSD). I use the 11" most often when I am in my classes (college student) and I leave my MBP in my dorm room. When I am in my room, I do favor the MBP though for added screen space for casual usage rather than actual productive work.

Now, my dilemma is that it seems I may be wasting the fact that I have two extremely high end computers. So, I was thinking... should I keep what I have and continue to use it? Or should I sell my MBP and either only use the MBA, or also have a Thunderbolt Display to hookup to when I am in my room?

If the option is to sell my MBP, what is the best way to sell it, I upgraded the RAM, and the HDD to a SSD. Should I sell it as is (with the SSD) or replace the HDD and then sell the SSD separately from the MBP?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. Briax macrumors newbie

Keep

I have the exact same setup as you have there. At one point I actually sold the MacBook Air, but then regretted it and bought another one (no loss luckily!). I would definitely keep both of them. I use my MBP most of the time as well, but the Air is so handy to have around you! Believe you me ;)

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I definitely enjoy the MBA for carrying around, I'm just not sure if I'm getting my money's worth from having BOTH computers around. You know what I mean?

4. Briax macrumors newbie

Yup, I completely understand! That's why I sold my MacBook Air the first time. But I missed having a machine that's so easy to grap and take it along with me. On the other hand I would never sell the MPB either because I need it's processing power and gpu.. soo..
    My advice, keep them both if you can afford it :)

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I don't really need the processing power.... I'm just a CS major, and I think I might be leaning toward the MBA w/ Display combo if it weren't so hard to sell my MBP for a fair price.

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Do you really need a Thunderbolt display? You can get perfectly adequate, if not quite so marvellously lickable, displays from other manufacturers for a fraction of the price - likely less than you could sell your Pro for, so you'd come out ahead.

Alternatively, you could sell both and buy a 13" Air - it's nearly as portable as the 11", and due to the higher resolution, has the same real estate as a 15" Pro.

7. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

looking for more opinions.....honestly leaning towards selling the MBP and buying the display... just don't know how to sell the MBP.