MBA, MBP or wait??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fswaid, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Fswaid macrumors newbie

ok guys here's the deal... i'm dying to get my first MacBook... now there are to options, 1 MBA and 2 is MBP 15"... about the same price $1799 but clearly the MBP is better...but to be honest i want the Air more...ALOT more...
    but here are my problems... if i get the MacBook Pro, i will always know that i bought a better laptop but will always "regret" my decision because i didnt get the Air, yes..i'm that kind of guy who wants only what he has in mind no matter what it is...
    on the other hand, if i get the MBA 2.1 GHz i'm afraid that a new one will be launched in the few weeks to come...and possibly a little less expensive than the current one then i would really kill myself...

i want it NOT for gaming although power would be great, next year i'm starting school and the laptop that i use right now (acer 5920G) is for my brother and he's getting back to Italy in about 2 weeks to continue his studies...i'll be left with only an old...very old PC that hardly connects to the internet...so i'll need another computer for now, and maybe get another Box for gaming or intensive work... so which one should i consider??? please any help will be much appreciated.

2. codehead macrumors member

Better for what and for whom? What are your needs and which computer fits those needs. That will tell you what is better. Price is a hang-up in our minds or our wallets. If you can buy X computer and it fits your needs, then it doesn't matter that Y computer is the same price.

For me personally, the MBA fits my needs. However, at this moment I don't need to buy a new computer so I'm willing to wait for a refresh or redesign of the MBA. If that doesn't happen, then I'll buy whatever computer in the Mac line-up that fits my needs.

As for what happens after you make a decision, some of us on this forum having been waiting months for a update on the Air and none of us are the wiser as to when it will happen.

I'm willing to wait, but that may not be the right decision for you.

I know you want an answer, but seriously, I can only provide an opinion...do what you want and don't worry what anyone else has to say or what might happen.

3. molala macrumors 6502a

IMHO, the MBA works best if it's your second computer, the ultra portable one you carry to class or on the couch instead of the iMac or other desktop you already have. But if you are setting aside money for only 1 computer, get the MBP. Having a superdrive built-in and all those ports is a great convenience.

Otherwise, wait as long as you can. It may be mid to late October that they update it (this is just a guess).

4. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

You'll hear this response a lot... buy what you need.

Who knows when the MBA will be updated. If that is what is suitable for your needs (i.e. travelling a lot), then get the latest release but don't look back (or buy a used one and use it to death).

Or, get the MBP, 13" which is a decent compromise but update the HDD and RAM to the max if you can afford it. If you really want power, go for the 15" and max those specs as well. Again, buy what you need rather than, "oh what if...". Because it's a guarantee, that sooner or later your laptop will be replaced with something shinier, newer, better, and/or cheaper. But if you got what you needed and it got the job done, then it won't matter (too much).

5. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

HP just released a new dm3. It can be bought from their site for $675 with a backlit keyboard. Weighs just under 4lbs. 13" screen.

Has an HDMI and E-SATA port. Thin, light, stylish.

Light on the bank account.

You can buy a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma ($899- Best Buy this week) with the leftover money.
    --

6. imnofanboy macrumors member

Get the MacBook Pro, it's more future proof than the current MBA.
    Better specs, enough said.