Mba, mbp vs. Tablet

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RUGGLES99, Apr 9, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I love my MBA and mBP but I also have samsung android tablets and have owned Ipads. I often find myself having to jump from my macs to my tablets, mainly because the tablet apps are so much more superior, I had recently gone back to Mac laptops after a long hiatus and am shocked at the lack of apps compared to android and ios, and the cost of the mac apps compared to the untold number of free and more varied and superior apps in the android play store and ones that can be side loaded, am I alone in this?

2. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

Nope, you are not alone. I was in an electronics store today and another customer walked in. She said she needed a laptop and only wanted Apple. Then she asked: it has the App Store, right? As on iPhone and iPad? Answer: "Nope, not an App Store like that and not apps like that. Then she looked at iPad and said: maybe I could have one of these and then a keyboard. Hmm, nope. That would be too small and I need a touchpad also.

This is now the reasoning of non tech persons. Apple has not found this gap. Microsoft has, but they do not have the apps. Apple does not make what people want right now, and they are earning a lot money because of it. If my iPad was 12"-14" inch and could multi task and had a keyboard like surface, I would never touch a normal pc again. As of now, I have MBA and iPad Air. This should not be necessary for all people today. I get that a light iPad is better and a real laptop is better than a compromise. But that compromise is also a better laptop with touch capabilities.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Are you talking about the mac app store?

I don't think that's meant as a main source of programs, like it is on iOS and Android - since OS X is a full featured operating system.

You don't need an app store that offers stripped down versions/imitations of the app you really want - you could actually have the full version - like Logic Pro or Cubase vs some of the stripped down mobile digital audio workstations on iOS/Android

4. RUGGLES99 thread starter macrumors 6502

The closest I've come to the mating of tablet and laptop is my Samsung Note Pro 12.2. A great screen that also allows use of a pen on screen, and of course its a touch screen. But it can be used as a laptop replacement, combined with a really great-feeling samsung bluetooth keyboard and a very sleek samsung bluetooth mouse/trackpad. It comes with Hansom Office, which is truly a total knockoff of MS Office. I actually sold my first MBA and went with the Samsung set up I just mentioned. And have the ability of a computer with ALL the great apps. Still, it REALLY isn't a full blown computer like the MBA. And that's why in the past month or so I picked up a used 2010, mint, loaded 15" MBP that's kind of taking place of my desktop Mac mini. And I got a 2014 base MBA. Still, I have to jump to my tablets for the best apps for just about EVERYTHING.