Mba/mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tycheong, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tycheong macrumors member

i was gonna buy a macbook pro
    but now
    im thinking about a macbook air
    and im really stuck

i do travel around a bit
    and the mobility of the air
    will be useful
    but the one usb port really frustrates me because ill probably be using it for a wired mouse (for games as i prefer wired precision rather than wireless or bluetooth)
    how does the air handle photo shop, games, 3D/animation, music, videos, and documents?

but
    i love the macbook pro keyboard
    and i could really use the processing power it has

HELPPPPP

2. mikenike192 macrumors regular

just for the fact that you want to game and do multimedia editing you should get a MBP.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I agree. The MBA is not suited for those sorts of tasks. If you're serious, then it's a MacBook Pro for you.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Or - to toss a third option into this - you could compromise between portability and power and get a MB. Games run 'ok' on it, it has more power than the air, and beats the MBP in portability.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The solid state MBA is $700 off in the refurb store. Get a powered USB hub to use at home for gaming (for the mouse, etc).

6. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

Um - the MacBook really isn't that much lighter than a MBP. Something like 200g? If he really needs the performance, he should get a MBP. Admittedly, it weighs more than 1kg more, but the increase in weight is really worth the increase in performance.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ guy above me, the price of the macbook is cheaper than both of the OP's laptops. and it does better than one of them. good price vs. function. I game sometimes, not hard core but more like Wii gaming, very casual. I do ok with a almost year old macbook. the MBA doesnt perform well in terms of photoshop, gaming (BIG no-no) and a lot of ports. Thats why its called the air. It's light and portable, suitable for people who move around alot but need a full sized keyboard and 13.3" screen.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As most of the others who have posted have pointed out, it depends on whether you need/prize portability or power more. It is your choice. If power for games and video is your over-riding need, get the MBP. It is a superb machine, great performance, powerful, aesthetically attractive and has an excellent screen; it is also quite portable (especially the 15 inch models). I'm a recent switcher, and am very happy with my MBP. However, if portability is your main need, I'd suggest you go for the Air, precisely because it is designed to be so easily carried. Portability or power, that is what you need to ask yourself. Good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You yourself can answer the question best! But the question is not which one do I want... but What will I do with my purchase! Imagine yourself an year down the line and the new exciting products in the market! If your decision is good.... you'll neglect them all.... if your decision is bad... we'll find another similar post here!

P.S.: As an advice.... you're better off buying anything NOW!