Mba? Mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Jul 31, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I am looking for a mac laptop that can be used for a while, and I am thinking about getting a first-gen MBA, or an older MBP (preferably 17"). This computer doesn't need to be super powerful, just something I can take around with me, because I have my PowerMac to take care of those things. Also, what is a good mac for running the "Flight Simulator X" that is Windows only?
    What would be a better choice?

2. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Unless you are looking for a super light computer with no extras and limited specs and no upgrading I would go with the Macbook Pro. If you get one of the refurbished Apple site it's not that much bigger or heavier and for what you want to do it would be much better.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

So either the heaviest Apple laptop or the lightest? Why not just go with a nice 15" model? I guess if I were to pick one or the other, I would say go with the 17" MBP just because its got more power and more I/O. Sure its not a fun to lug around, but I can see the Air getting chocked up by Windows.

4. Furi Kuri macrumors member

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

My mid-'07 2 GHz 2 GB mini handled FSX, which was installed on an external FW 400 HDD, just fine on near-highest settings. Any new MBP would fare much better, but a C2Q dedicated Windows box would be best.

My 2.33 GHz C2Q Studio 540 with 6 GB RAM and ATi Radeon 4350 handles it fine on highest settings.

6. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it is odd, to want two extremes, but I had a 17" PB, and I got used to the weight, so that won't really be an issue. What is the story with the 8600M GT GPUs?

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

8600M's may fail at any time, but Apple extended the warranty for them.

8. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

Woah, did you say you used FSX with a mini? I use it on my MB, and it sucks, what did you do to your mini to run it ok? Also, what FPS do you get?

9. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you want to run games, no matter which one, there's no point to even think of MBA, especially with your what FPS do you get? attitude (which I admire, don't get me wrong).

If you want an MBA for light tasks and high portability, go for it. Otherwise, go for the MBP.

10. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, long story short, I am selling my MB, and I am going to get a Unibody 17" MBP later this year and I would like something to have besides my PPC macs during the time that I only have PPC, so I can do my games and other things that are windows only.

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yes a mini. That's the GMA 950, too.

I did nothing special. My neighbor, who is an Apple Genius, upgraded its RAM from 1 to 2 GB.

I have no idea about fps, but it ran fine. There were some brief pauses, but that is likely because FSX was installed on an external FW 400 HDD.

I find between XP and Vista, XP is much faster.

I also played Sim City 4 on highest possible settings under both Vista and XP, until I got the Studio 540.

If you're interested, the mini did way better than the family's XPS 410 with 1.86 GHz C2D, (at the time) 1 GB RAM, and nVidia GeForce 7300 LE.

12. opera57 macrumors 6502

I would definitely go for the 17" MBP (with the 8600M GT if possible). I had a 15" MBP with the 128mb 8600 and it was very capable. I had no problems in the 2 years that I owned it.
    Personally I would stay away from the rev A MBA, as there are apparently issues with overheating and core shutdowns.. not to mention the intel graphics which may not handle flight sim very well. [​IMG]