MBA Micro-DVI port

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ittoto, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ittoto macrumors newbie

I have just inherited a Macbook Air A1237 from my friend, and i need to connect it to my TV which has only HDMI input. How do i proceed to connect it's micro dvi port to the hdmi port of the tv? and what else do i need to do to connect sound?.

Thanks.

ittoto

2. ogun7 macrumors regular

ogun7

Apple sells a Mini DVI to DVI adapter for $19. Then go to HDMI from there.

3. cyber16, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

edit
    removed post, I forgot that your air has the Micro-dvi connector, not the mini dvi

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As mentioned, for video, get adapter to to to full size DVI plug. Then add DVI to HDMI cable or the thing I mention below under option 3.

For audio, that MBA has a headphone port that doubles as analogue and optical audio out. So you can use:

1) Optical audio out (headphone size to whatever on tv)
    2) Analogue audio out (headphone size to whatever on tv). This is stereo only.
    3) An adapter that combines audio with DVI audio into HDMI, such as http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405

Your Mac from 2008 is fairly old. Newer Macs all have either HDMI port or MiniDisplay / Thunderbolt port that can output to HDMI easily.

5. gpeden macrumors regular

I use Apple's mini dvi to hdmi adapter - figure the less adapters the better:)

Glen

6. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Please explain your reasoning for adding a second device/adapter that is unnecessary?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I can offer a good reason for that…
    The OP has an original MBAir, which uses a Micro-DVI (not Mini-DVI) output connector. Good luck finding a single cable for Micro-DVI to HDMI.
    You'll need at least two connections, (plus audio to use through a TV)
    You find them listed, but almost always are micro HDMI to HDMI, which is the wrong connection, of course. And, some TVs won't provide an audio input, and the HDMI from that DVI connection won't provide it - then the OP will likely need external speakers (the internal sound from that older MBAir won't give adequate volume for TV viewing, eh?)

8. cyber16 macrumors 6502

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

DeltaMac already explained it.

It's hard to find but "Micro-DVI to DVI adapter and a Micro-DVI to VGA adapter were included with previous versions of the MacBook Air"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-DVI

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, that link is a good example of a mis-labeled part, it's clearly a MINI-DVI to HDMI.
    You can compare to the picture in the link that Consultant found.
    The real Micro-DVI is rare. Apple only used it on that one MBAir, then dropped it.
    Here's a real part: http://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Air-Micro-DVI-to-DVI-Adapter/IF188-025