MBA mid 2009 getting slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ajack, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ajack macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've just bought MBA mid 2011 (ultimate), and just the right moment after getting start with MBA ultimate, I found out that it was so awesome! core i5 really really faster. It turns out to be disguting for me to using the old one...

I only using chrome, with microsoft word, iTunes and preview. Sometimes, it just slow down without any reasons. Most likely, the app that cause system slowiest is Word.

I've been thinking about this issue over and over:

1. SSD vs SATA: the new one got SSD while the old one only have SATA. Yes, I know that SATA is much slowier than SSD, but SSD is only faster when you try to read something from hard drive (open new file, unzip, or loading new package of apps,...). SSD won't save you time to process data (just like surf web).

2. Is core i5 that good? Yes, I also know that core i5 is state of the art right now, but is that core i5 much much better than core 2duo?

3. 4GBs vs 2GBs of RAM: is this theory really matter? cause I use 5 apps simultaneously

4. I've just clean install MAC OSX Lion: there're no crap apps or any trunk in my mac right now.

Can you give me any advice to speed up my mid 2009 MBA

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Confused, why not just sell the 2009 and enjoy your 2011? You could add an SSD not sure about ram but I'd rather sell and take this money plus what I would have spent on SSD and ram towards a 2011.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    fully agree.

sell the 2009 Air; send it Air mail
    it'll really fly then :D

4. ajack thread starter macrumors member

I actually bought the new macbook air for my father, cause I'm really impressed with mba after using it for 1.5 years. I did some searching just like "is MBA mid 2011 that good?" or things like that and someone just said that the ultimate MBA isn't worth the money for update. But, everything turned out to be different...

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'd still sell + use extra money to buy a 2011. If you can't afford new, just pick up an used or refurbished one. You won't look back.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's probably the RAM and SSD that you really "feel."

The i5 is much better, but you'd mainly notice that on really CPU intensive tasks.

Your Air is still ok actually. It's probably not as bad as you think it is.

If you can afford it, feel free to upgrade. If you can't right now, save some more and enjoy yours!

7. ajack thread starter macrumors member

I just don't want to sell the old one cause I just got a little money back for this... 400$ maybe... and I have to spend about 800-900$ on a new one.