MBA Mid 2011 13.3 i5 sometimes turns off (water damage?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SirMatthew, Dec 26, 2011.

1. SirMatthew, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

SirMatthew macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I bought a Macbook Air in September 2011 and I was one week ago so stupid to spill some apple juice (i prefer other stuff of an Apple) on the screen and in the middle of the case, just above and around the first 3 rows of keys)
    I first rebooted my Mac, saw a white screen and then realized it was wet and that it would be better to turn it of, remove the apple juice and let it dry for 3 days. I have put it in a box with rice and silicon for 3 days, standing before an electronic heater (not too hot) so that it could dry. After 80 hours I removed it, turned it on and nothing happened.

A few hours later my MBA finally booted. At the moment (4 days later) it boots most times, but not always. Sometimes it switches off after a few minutes, sometimes it keeps on for more than a day until I turn it off / keep it in the sleep mode.

The point is that this is very annoying and I would like to repair it if possible. I have ran an Apple Hardware Check, but everything worked fine according to the check. When I run the extended check it switches off, but I only tried this three times and it switched off while checking the memory, what works fine.

What causes my MacBook to switch off sometimes and makes it sometimes impossible to boot it? (if i keep it in the sleep mode for a few hours, it can't boot, only after it is heated or not used for a few hours)

Is it also worth the waiting to put it again in a box of rice? And does it damage the laptop if it sometimes just switches off, while working on it?

There are no strange smells, sounds or strange screens.

Thanks in advance

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Sounds like you probably caused some kind of internal damage to the motherboard. Minor short circuit at times perhaps ... dunno.

At this point my shot in the dark guess is that additional drying out is not going to help.

Repair at some kind of apple authorized service center is probably the only viable option.

Get a backup taken of your current system if there is anything significant before going in.