MBA Mid-2012 13" owners ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by perfect0909, Jan 26, 2015.

1. perfect0909 macrumors newbie

Hi owners of MBA mid-2012 (13"),

how is your MBA holding up ?
    And how long does your battery last on a full charge ? (I know that depends on your usage but if its just light browsing or doing stuff on Microsoft Word, etc does it still last for around 5-7 hours like it's supposed to ?)

My battery status has been "service battery" for months now and on a full charge it usually lasts about 2 and a half hours max. Which is really bugging me but replacing a new battery is gonna cost me a ton so I thought of just bearing with it until I'm able to buy a better Macbook, hopefully a rMBA if the rumours are true haha). Please let me know how your MBA mid-2012 is doing and if I should spend on a new battery ?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

$129 isn't a small amount of money but I don't know if I'd call it "a ton."

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

My battery died early at only 2 years old. It's currently showing ~55% life and lasts about 2.5 hours. When I got the laptop it lasted 8+. Everything else is fine though, it's like new aside from the battery and I have no plans to upgrade.

Does anyone know if the batteries on ebay are legit? I would just take it to Apple and pay to have it replaced but the nearest Apple store is a 5 hour drive.

4. iMacC2D, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. Boilerhead, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

Boilerhead macrumors newbie

My mid 2012 MBA has 288 cycles and is at 89% Health on the original battery. I get about 6 hours out of a full charge just web browsing, but about 3.5-4 on skype or youtube.

Manufacture date June 8, 2012
    i5 @ 1.8 GHz
    8 GB Ram

6. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I had the battery replaced on mine back in the fall. After only 89 cycles, my battery had 81% capacity, which was really, really strange. I had Applecare but still wasn't sure I should've taken it in because they typically don't replace batteries until either the battery hits 80% or less capacity or after 1000 cycles.

Long story shot, the Genius at my Apple Store replaced it with no hesitation. With my typical usage (not including my Virtual Machine that I use once a week), my battery seems to go between 5 & 1/2 to 6 & 1/2 hours.

My machine is also running very smooth, even with the admittedly buggy Yosemite. I don't have slowdown at all, even when using Parallels with windows 8.1. I attribute this to the 8gb of RAM in mine.

7. perfect0909 thread starter macrumors newbie

To you. But to an 18 year old like myself, living in a country where Apple products are sold twice the price than in the US. It is, a ton of money. (Living in Malaysia. It's RM650 here to replace a new battery).

8. Andrei221 macrumors newbie

mine lasts about 5-6 hours. manufacture date : 2013.02.04. battery capacity : 84%

9. motrek macrumors 68020

How did you afford the laptop in the first place?

10. dixido macrumors member

dixido

My battery had about 50% capacity after 500 cycles. I replaced it with a 3rd party one that is working great. Now my MBA is as good as new again.

Back on Mavericks again after a not so stable experience running Yosemite. Mavericks is really a lot faster and more stable.