MBA Mid-2012 battery care ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by perfect0909, Jul 25, 2014.

1. perfect0909 macrumors newbie

I have a Mid-2012 13" MBA 128GB//8GB, and the current cycle count is 166.

For the past few week I've been using a lot of my MBA and for the past few days when I hit the battery icon on the top right section of my screen, the drop down says "Service Battery". Besides going to the Apple store to get this rectified, is there anything else I could do ? Also my battery runs only a max of 3 hours++ since the 'service battery' sign appeared.

And I usually charge my MBA when the power is <20% and leave it on to 100% and don't discharge it until I switch my MBA off. Is this the correct way ? Or should I switch the power adapter off immediately when it hits 100%, use up the battery life until it hits less than 20% and charge it again.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Helpful answers would greatly be appreciated :)

2. AppleDavid macrumors regular

AppleDavid

3. perfect0909 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hii, I just did and this is what it says :

Current Charge : 4803mAh
    Maximum Charge : 4803mAh
    Design capacity : 6700mAh
    Manufacture Date : 2012-06-21
    Load Cycles : 166
    OS X Battery Status : Check Battery
    Battery Temperature : 32.6 Celsius
    Charging with : 0.0 watts
    Battery State : Full

4. AppleDavid macrumors regular

AppleDavid

Okay I see.Your battery is under the 80% off the original capacity and there are two options:
    1.You can use your battery if there is no problem for you with 3 hours.
    2.Replace the battery with a new one on Amazon,Ebay,Ifixit or bring it to a Apple store and they will replace it!

David

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Bad idea. Not only could the capacity be very low however, it could be damaged/bulging.

OP, keep using it for the next few days as the battery level can sometimes momentarily read incorrectly. If it stays that way for about a week, it's time to get it replaced.