MBA mid 2013 snappier then MBP late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vigorito, May 10, 2014.

1. vigorito macrumors regular

You will think im insane but its true,i just switch from mba bought it in december 2013 mid 2013 version 4gb ram and 128gb ssd and i5 1.3ghz,yesterday i bought mbp late 2013 same configuration with 4 ram,128ssd both notebooks was sealed im the first one who open them,mba just feel a lot a lot more smoother then mbp,restarting is much faster on mba,opening a apps like iphoto its just flying on mba,opening a single photo is almost instant on air,on pro same photo needs to be open around almost 3 seconds,i want to say pro is working good but not like a air and not even close,i didnt want to sell air first and then start chasing pro for several days so i just bought pro right away and now im selling air (didnt want to stay without notebook for few days) im in country where there is no apple store thats why,so after using air several months i jump same day on pro and the difference is huge,i was wondering does mbp late 2013 ssd is hooked on pci or sata connection? I know for sure air 2013 ssd is connected on pci,but dont know for pro late 2013 ao probably that would be reason,a little dissapointed user right now i was expecting a slightly faster performance with 2.4 ghz cpu on pro...

2. allthatjazz macrumors regular

3. Burning Radio macrumors regular

One sentence.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The late-2013 rMBPs use PCIe SSDs. And for crying out loud, it's so bloody hard to read your post. Don't merge everything into a single sentence.

The Air may have less lag overall because the Intel HD 5000 doesn't have to drive as many pixels as the rMBP. The Air only has to drive a 1440x900 display while the Iris 5100 in the rMBP has to drive a 2560x1600 display. That said, the 13" rMBP has barely any UI stuttering.

Hook up the rMBP to an external monitor, use it in clamshell mode and all stuttering disappears.

5. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for that,hm so its about graphics? You think same pro with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd runs the same?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have a 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD 13" rMBP, and can confirm that there is some UI stuttering, but only rarely. UI stuttering only occurs if I'm doing something heavy in the background (i.e. waiting for Photoshop to apply changes to my PSD file).

Stuttering occurs less when I'm connected to an external display in clamshell mode.

It's due to the GPU, not the RAM and SSD.

On my 15" rMBP (Iris Pro + 750M), there is absolutely no stuttering at all, regardless of whether it's on an external display or an internal display.

7. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Hm,i remember last year when i had retina 2012 with ivy bridge 8gb ram and 128ssd and no iris with osx lion i had no lag or stuttering at all thats weird,do you think that maybe in future osx updates this can be fix?