MBA mid 2013 weird keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Omnirai, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Omnirai, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

Omnirai macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am posting here to ask if this is normal behaviour.. When typing on my keyboard, the keys feel kinda weird, as if the keyboard is mis alligned..

Background information: I live in Belgium and we do not have a real Apple Store, so I bought it from the official reseller (switch.be). I've went -twice- to the service center and both times they assured me nothing was wrong, it was normal behaviour.

The macbook air is the base model 2013 haswell version.

I've made a video about it and posted it on youtube. I would like a second opinion whether this is normal:

http://youtu.be/0PKPzWwHeSs

Thank you for your input

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The video doesn't really help much, I couldn't tell anything significant. My recommendation is to check out other MBAs for sale (Anywhere) and see if your issue is present in those computers. If not, then call apple for servicing.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Can't see anything wrong as well... Do you feel there's something wrong with the keys -- all of them, or individual ones?

Do you mean the key press, or the total keyboard structure itself?

4. Omnirai, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Omnirai thread starter macrumors member

Only a few specific ones: right shift, backspace, numbers 3 and 7 and the other ones showed in the video. It feels like I cant put too much pressure to the top left corner of my keys, feels a bit that they scratch the aluminium part of the macbook air..

Maybe its just in my head.. Altough, I am pretty certain I dont get that feeling in the showed models of the premium reseller store, no matter where I put more pressure on, the keys feel like they dont scratch aluminium sides. Maybe its because they have more 'wear'..

I would have bought from the apple online store, but the problem is that I dont have a credit card (I am a student who finances everything by myself, and I would barely use the credit card), so I would have a 14-day cooldown period.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My keys on a MBP do not feel misaligned per se. However my left arrow key goes down more on the right side than the left. I would expect some variance in the keyboards but not to the point where they start to scrape the keyboard bay. I would look at a replacement if possible, but if it isn't allowed I wouldn't really worry about it. It is one of those things where you just spent all this money on a machine and you expect it to be perfect. If it isn't returnable it isn't an issue but it would certainly bug me.

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Now that you mention it, the second key you press does sound like it's scratching against the aluminum frame. It sounds like it's a minor issue. However, minor issues over time can become big irritants for some people.