MBA more pixels but why everything is smaller?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by v2club, Aug 11, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I've got a 13"MBP and just got a 13" MBA (but just for testing, I'm gonna return it cuz I cannot afford 2 laptops and I don't need 2 laptops) anyway, so far the MBA it has been awesome: it's lighter ( that is perfect for people like me, who like to lie in bed with the laptop, I actually never use it on a desk), it doesn't have the unnecessary Ethernet port, FireWire port even the Optical drive, which I personally never use, even the speakers are louder than the 13" MBP. However the graphics suck!!! The MBP has much much better graphics! But the thing that bothers me the most is that everything on the screen is smaller, the windows, the menus, the icons, even when I open Safari. (I mean smaller than on the MBP). Does anybody know why is that and is there any way that could be fixed, and please don't say it's because the MBA has more pixels, the iPhone 4 also has more pixels than the 3Gs, but you don't see the apps smaller.

2. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

a font that is 12 pixels tall is smaller on the MBA, because the pixels are smaller on the MBA. there's nothing else to it.

as for the iphones, iOS, i assume, scales according to the device. this kind of scaling is really needed for OSX, but who knows when we'll actually see it. (many hoped Lion would have it.)

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

More pixels in the same amount of space will produce a smaller image, given that the image is not scaled for the pixel density of the display. With the iPhones, it's a bit different. They doubled the number of pixels in each direction, but also did the same to the images and UI elements, so they take up a lot more pixels, but occupy the same amount of space and look sharper. The idea of the higher resolution display on the Air is so that you can fit more in a smaller area, rather than a sharper image, like on the iPhone.

4. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Ok that makes it clearer, but is there any app or way to re-scale?

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

Not using lion.

In past versions there was a terminal command but it no longer works.

Soon ios and android tablets will be out with pixel densities double that of any apple osx display.