MBA not auto assigning IP address, won't join Wifi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Medic, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Medic macrumors member

It's the strangest thing, my wife's MBA (v1) will randomly refuse to connect to our home wifi network (cast by a 500GB Time Capsule). What seems to be happening is that it will connect then disconnect at bootup, it will say no preferred networks are available (when the home network has been configured!) and refuse to assign an IP address to the MBA. If I manually select the home network from the wifi icon, it will diplay security password, and then say this is invalid (when it is perfectly valid and the one used by my own MBP and iPhone)...:confused: this seems to happen only on our home network, any other works fine...

My own MBP is fine. This is driving me crazy and I haven't found anything on the web on this. Please help if you know anything about this...cheers!

2. Malcster macrumors 6502

I have this issue on my Rev 1 MBA, seemed to start on 10.5.3 (ish) what i have to do is set the firewall to allow incoming connections (turns it off), give it a min or two.. this then lets me get my wireless connection, then turn the firewall back on again after the connection is completed..

Reported it to Apple, kinda hoping its fixed in 10.5.6, otherwise im gonna give reinstalling OS X a go... its a real pain

hope this helps, wish Apple would sort out Airport once and for all, seems more bug ridden on leopard than ever before.

3. Medic thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the prompt reply...unfortunately, this is well beyond my wife's capability, so need to find another answer!!! :p I searched on apple's site and didn't find anything apart from a thread saying that a preference file folder needsed to be deleted. I did this and the pb continues.

I find it absolutely crazy that apple would get a machine out without an ethernet port, which relies solely on wifi and which cannot keep paired with a wireless router made by apple...this is insanity...:(:eek::mad::apple::confused:

Many thanks again, I'll give it a shot, but if anyone is reading out there and has something to propose, please do!

4. jonnyb macrumors 65816

As a short term solution you could get the Ethernet to USB adapter from the Apple store. I know, you really ought not to have to spend another £19 to get the internet, but if your wife is desperate she can go for the wired solution