Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
what will apple do about this? mine is slightly off. should i just deal with it. I live in eastern canada. two hour flight from the closest apple store.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I read somewhere (probably on here) that some people had resolved the issue of their Air not lying completely flat by giving it a quick "twist" with the lid up (i.e. open the machine, hold it diagonally across the corner that isn't flat and twist). I've not tried it as mine lies perfectly flat, but you could give it a go. If it makes things worse, you're on your own, though and I accept no responsibility if you wreck the machine :D

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
My vote would be learn to live with it....if its not to bad. Trying to "bend it straight" will be risky! Mine is flat... but I have a flaw with mine also that I have decided to live with....I have a very slight "bump" on the metal surrounding the screen on the top left side where the magnet would be. I have thought about getting ti replaced many times but I have no other problems with it and dont want to chance getting a new machine with more problems than this.:D Hope that helps;)

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
so i guess i'm not the only one with this problem. at any given time only 3 of the rubber things is touching my desk, the other is up in the air about a millimeter or two. while its not all that big of a deal, i did pay $2000 for this laptop and should get a machine that wasn't warped out of the box. i'm probably going to just wait till the end of the semester and then demand they send me a new one.

willeekinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Mine was like that too, the front left didnt quite touch a surface while the other three bumpers did, causing a slight wobble...i researched the problem a bit and was advised to do the "twist" method as stated above, I was a little weary but did go ahead and twist it, and all is fine now...you dont need to do it very hard at all, just put some pressure on the corner that is not lying flat, and you should be fine. The problem has not come back. Good luck!

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
haha, tried the twist method and it worked!!! it's a little nerve racking but take your time and apply light pressure and it sits on all 4 feet now!

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
The approach I took to fixing this problem reasonably was to do the following:

(I in no way take any responsibility for what may happen to your Air!!!)

Have the air lid closed, get the corner that is raised and then with the air on a solid table have the corner that is raised dangling over the edge of the table with the other 3 feet on the table. Hold the top of the case of the Air and then gently push down on the corner that is raised. The Air will start to bend at that corner over the table then it will hit the table edge. Hold it in that position for a few moments and then check it again. If necessary do it again, for more bend have the corner further of the edge of the table making sure that the other three feet are in contact with the table top and held down securely when bending it.

It sounds pretty daunting and dangerous but I did it and I think it has made a drastic improvement to the point where it really isn't a problem now. Will just have to see what the test of time will do to it now!!!

Hope everyone gets flattened out ok!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.