MBA or BLK MB for my needs? Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mag2001, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mag2001 macrumors 6502

I am trying to decide which one to get. I would only use it as a second computer next to my 24inch AL imac. Would only used it for office,ilife, internet. I had a black macbook when they first came (core duo) out but the track pad got real shinny on me and wouldn't want that to happen again.

2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

The shiny trackpad happens on all Macs. True the black will reflect more, but the white/grey with wear smooth and shine, as well.

3. mag2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. connectingrodd4 macrumors newbie

Before even reading your needs I can say that a mb would be a better choice... assuming you have to have an apple at all

5. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

It all depends on what it's worth to you.

If you want to spend more money on less features, but have big time wow factor, get the Air.

If you want more bang for your buck, but only have the standard Mac wow factor, get the MB.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Bingo. Unless you have $800 to burn and can't take the extra 2lbs, get the MB.

7. mag2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok well with the education discount the black macbook would be $1399 and the MBA would be $1699 so for the 300 more is not too bad and I already have my imac.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Based on your needs the MBA gives you absolutely zilch over the MB.

Apart from the weight and portability.

9. BIK macrumors member

BIK

If you want a secondary computer, and money is NO option, get the MB Air.

I have a blackbook myself, and if I didnt need to be able to burn dvds, have 160gigs of HD space, and had money to burn, i'd get a mb air.

Basically, if you dont need the power of a mbpro, or arent a gamer, you get a macbook.

now if you dont need a ton of hard drive space, want a secondary computer, and have extra cash to drop, you get a mb air instead of a mb.

10. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

When I first saw the rumors for the MacBook Air was the first time I seriously started to think about a second computer that I could dedicate to work. While the MBA is very cool looking and 2 pounds lighter to me it doesn't have the oomph I'm looking for.

So I just bought a system from Amazon: MB 2.2 White, 250 GB Western Digital HD, Kingston 4GB ram kit, and I added a Speck See-Thru Hard Case. Even with overnight shipping (I have Amazon Prime) it came to less than the MBA by a couple hundred dollars.

11. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

12. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Is the oily trackpad in the Blackbook a permanent issue or can it be cleaned off?:confused:

13. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Unless you travel a lot, the MB will be a ton more bang for the buck and will be more practical for dailiy use

14. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

mb. more practical unless you absolutely need to drop 2 pounds and need an edged weapon.

how much is the educational discount anyways?

15. mag2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

just a $100 USD but I figured I could buy the external superdrive.

16. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

i think the regular macbook is still way better value

17. RR08EvoX macrumors member

if you have an imac, id say just get the MBA, its really the perfect solution for a web browsing mobile machine..

I will get one because its just what I want for lounging around my appartment and surfing the net while watching tv, doing iphoto stuff and listing on ebay, dowloading music, using ichat, all the stuff you want to do away from a desk.

I love the fact that its totally wireless and so light you won't even feel it on your lap and it looks sturdy enough to reach out and place it on the coffee table with one hand when i'm ready to take a nap, haha

18. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if it gets really hot though. Keep in mind that if it has no internal fans / cooling, it might get quite warm, in which case I'd be wary about leaving it on my lap!

19. RR08EvoX macrumors member

its got a cooling system... if you look at the pics of the bottom piece off you can see the fan and the thermal unit over the processor

20. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I see little reason for anyone to get a MacBook Air over the MacBook. The MacBook offers more for less, it's the consumer portable for the masses for a reason. The Air is only there to cater to a very specific niche in the overall market. It's certainly not for the masses (unless everyone suddenly begins spending over $3,000 on laptops.)