MBA or MAC MINI

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BiteDisAppleD, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BiteDisAppleD macrumors newbie

Hey i was wondering which would be ideal for me. I plan on using photo shop and light room about 3 - 4 days a week. I'll be uploading to social media and etc. I also plan to just play some basic games. And use it for school work.

2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

mini with iris....

3. BiteDisAppleD thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it actually worth the money though? Would a 2.6 i5 16 GB w/ SSD 2014 mini beat a 2012 i7 Quad-core 16 GB w/ SSD?

4. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i actually cannot answer that as i have never used mine for your purposes... iow the gfx limitations of a hd4000 for me are negligible as i do not do any photo/video work...

for the answer to your question you may have to wait for more in-depth reviews :D

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

We have a late 12" mini and mba 2013 at home. I would go for the mba. Better bang for the buck.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2012 mini and 2013 MBA. Very different machines, but if I could only have one it would definitely be the MBA. However, you don't indicate that you need a laptop. If not, then the MBA doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. But if you do need a laptop, the Mini isn't going to make sense.

7. markusbeutel macrumors regular

No. Get the 2012 quad i7 - the new minis are a slap in the face.

8. Mistic007 macrumors newbie

Mistic007

Performance wise both suit your needs. Sure it's faster on more expensive machines. And the 2012 edition is indeed faster on multithreaded tasks, but really they are fast enough if you're not earning your money with it. And the new minis are faster single threaded, and the new one uses less power. (very handy if you let it on 24/7)

Better questions are:
    - Do i want to spend almost double to get a laptop?
    - Do i need te be mobile?
    - Would i dock the laptop most of the time to external display ect?

Basically you have first to decide if you are ok with a desktop or you want a a laptop.

The pro of a macbook is that you can choose. you can always buy a screen, keyboard and mouse and dock it. But a Mini is never going to be a laptop.

But with the money you safe when buying a mini, you can buy an really nice external display.

Think about that, rather then performance wise ;)