MBA or MBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nizmoz, Nov 17, 2010.

1. nizmoz, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

nizmoz macrumors 65816

I had a Macbook Pro 15" late 2009 model and miss it. It was my first MAC that I I ever owned. I sold it after 6 months for a Dell XPS which I am not very happy with due to my job making me have a laptop for work. Well I can bootcamp the new one so I am not too worried about that, but if they have a problem, they can buy me a work laptop as I am not going to put up with them telling me to get one for me to use for them anymore. I do not really do any gaming and like to browse the web and read. I also like to get emails, edit pictures since I have a SLR. The Macbook Pro I had was great. Did all that. I just didn't like it's weight as much as I had hoped. The AIR however might satisfy me. My budget is around $2200 max.

I just can't seem to make up my mind between the two again. Now that the AIR has more power, etc it's a great choice. But my worry is, 2-3 years down the road, it may need more memory and 4gb is all it has and is limited too.

What are your thoughts on this? I like the new resolutions on both systems. So that is a key player as well. I have a Desktop machine PC at home that is my gaming rig with a Quad Core Processor, RAID5 and so on. It is my powerhouse that is 3 years old but going strong. So this will be my alternate on the go machine mostly. Eventually I might replace this home pc with a IMAC or something, but not till it dies!

2. dougelo7 macrumors member

dougelo7

The Air's RAM actually doesn't matter as much as you think, because the flash storage can function as VRAM at nearly the same speed.

I recommend you buy a 256GB MacBook Air, upgraded with the 2.13Ghz processor and 4GB RAM, for future-proofing. I think it's $1,800, which means you still have $400 left over to get some nice accessories. :)

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

4. mmagbee macrumors member

5. dougelo7 macrumors member

dougelo7

I also forgot to mention: The 13" Air has as the exact same amount of pixels as your old 15" Pro. So you won't feel cramped at all. :D

6. miata macrumors 6502

Doesn't swap mean lots of writes to SSD and isn't that what wears out SSDs faster than anything?

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

True but it should easily last 5 years with heavy use most will last 20+ years.