MBA or MBP Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dibara2003, Jan 19, 2008.

1. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

as stated i have a hard time making a decision to either buy a MBA for $1649 not incl. taxes or a MBP 15" 2.4 for $1700 incl. taxes- used, but bought in december. not having touched or used a MBA makes this hard and the MBP may be sold within a few days. any advice please?

2. n8236 macrumors 65816

It's simple, really:

Do you play relatively new games or do photo-editing work often? If yes, get MBP.

Oversimplified, but it's basically the main difference between the two (with the exception of thickness)

3. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

not really... but i'm the type of person to overkill when buying stuff. i'm using a 12" pb g4 when i could've gotten by with a ibook. i guess more of a deal wise which is better then?

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Clearly the MBP. It's a solid $450 cheaper than retail if you consider sales tax, whereas an MBA is only $150 off.

The only question is which do you want more? The MBA can run circles on what you've got now, and it doesn't really sound like you're pushing the PowerBook too hard in the first place.

5. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm... only if i could actually test out an MPA, it would solve my problem instantly.

6. mrsk macrumors newbie

IMHO the MBP is a better deal. More performance, better connectivity, bigger display (which - if you have to work with it - is really nice to have). The MBA really "only" is a subnotebook with a slightly bigger display.

However, this is a matter of personal choice and preferences. If you just need a very light and portable computer to do work when on the go, the MBA is the better deal.
    The MBP crowd (soon including me, hopefully :D ) are looking buy a high-performance computer, manuy probably even as a full-blown desktop replacement. Since the MBA is "underpowered", obviously the MBP will be the better deal.

So it all comes down to your personal preferences. The MBA if you really only need a light and sexy secondary computer, the MBP if you're planning to do all your work on one single computer.

7. n8236 macrumors 65816

The MBA does sacrifice a lot for its slim design, so it really depends if you're willing to give up a host of nicely rounded features for the "world's thinnest laptop."

8. GUSTO macrumors member

GUSTO

I had the same problem. I needed to get a new Macbook and was holding off for the MWSF Keynote. I was really wanting a MBP update to be announced at this years Expo :rolleyes: But since nothing was announced and I think the MBA is an over priced toy I decided on the MBP. Apple's UK store has a few 2.4Ghz MBP which are refurbished and are reduced to the same price as the 2.2Ghz version (MBP 2.2Ghz £1299 MBP 2.4Ghz £1599) I could not resist this great offer. I get it all boxed as new with same 1 years guarantee as you do with new.

The MBP in my opinion still seams to have the edge over the MBA in terms of the expandability, power and cost.