MBA or MBP with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattbaar26, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I'm new to this forum so if I did anything wrong let me know!

Here's my predicament: I currently have a Toshiba Satellite that is starting to crap out on me and I got it like 2 years ago. I wish I had done more research before getting a laptop but that is in the past now.

My 2 options are a macbook air 13 inch base model (the 2012 one) which I like because of the ssd and all but I don't like how ssd upgrades are so expensive with the module type and also how the RAM is non-up-gradable.
    My other option is to get the 13 in non retina macbook pro and upgrade to about 128gb ssd and 8gb RAM on my own, I'm not paying Apple's prices for their upgrades, I'm on a budget because of college.
    I will be getting a USB 3.0 1 TB external with either option probably, maybe less so I was just looking for opinions on what would be the better choice. I wanted a smaller laptop with good battery life and one that I know will last me a while. Portability isn't a huge thing because there is only like a .5 pound difference between them.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated because I have been having a hard time with this!

Thanks in advance!

2. robvas macrumors 68020

What screen resolution do you like better? Some people like the higher res but some people think the fonts etc are 'too small'

Do you need a DVD drive? Ethernet port? Firewire? Huge HD?

If you don't need any of those things most people suggest you get the Air.

3. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

Resolution isn't that big of a deal to me. I would be okay getting an external cd drive and also the Ethernet shouldn't be a problem, if it is, I could get a thunderbolt adapter. I don't have anything firewire.

My main thing is if I am a business major, envrn studies minor, will I do okay on just 4gb of RAM or will 8 gb be a lot better?

4. robvas macrumors 68020

More is always better. Your major or minor isn't going to determine how much RAM you use.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Hey, welcome to the forums :)

I'd say go for the MacBook Pro if you're in college/university. You'll have access to a CD drive, and you can actually max it out to 16GB RAM (for pretty cheap, too). You'll also get a better processor.

P.S. We call the MacBook Pro a MBP, and the MacBook Pro Retina a rMBP (just so you can get accustomed) :)

6. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

It does sort of matter what my major is due to RAM, if I was a comp sci, I would need more, depends on programs you are running.

Just looking at the buying guide, it says don't bet a MBP now, a update will be coming soon. Would it honestly be worth waiting and keeping my crap laptop for another 4 months? Wouldn't the new MBPs just have non upgradable RAM and a module SSD possibly?

I like the upgrade possibilities of the pro but the air seems to be told to be a little bit faster.

7. HipHopTrex macrumors member

I'm in a situation similar to you, I'm waiting for the summer show with the MacBook models, and then deciding. I look at it this way...can I survive 5-6 months with my older macbook? (2009) and perhaps get an upgrade of some sort included (like a faster processor different minimum amount of RAM etc etc). So I'm just going to wait it out a few months, but if you're in need of something new right now, or you won't survive the upcoming semester due to it's battery being terrible, screen issues etc etc then I'd buy now.