MBA or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hipwr, Aug 11, 2011.

1. hipwr macrumors newbie

I am College student so I will be needing a portable device for Notes, Writing papers etc. I am just beginning to learn editing with Final Cut, Photoshop, Logic pro and some basic webdesign.

I'm trying to decide if I should go for the High-end MBA w/ i7 1.8 Dual core while I'm still in the rookie stages of editing / creation, then buy an iMac or MBP down the road.
    - Buying the MBA would cost less, be more portable and they're pretty cool.
    Or
    Buying a Low-end 15" MBP Hi-Res Screen & 7200RPM HDD .
    This is more expensive, less portable, but more versatile, will not require buying another computer down the road and of course the Hi-Res screen is a must for video/photo edits...

Thanks in advance

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I have no experience with FCP, but you might not get much done in Logic on a MBA. I too lusted after the MBA but couldn't get by without Firewire. There are no Thunderbolt audio interfaces. There are some good USB 2.0 options, but I recommend getting a MBP to not limit yourself. You are also talking about doing some very demanding work in other fields. I'd get the most powerful computer you can afford (save cash for an SSD). The hi-res antiglare is nice!

I use Photoshop, Illustrator and Logic Pro on a MBP. I hope you can figure out what to do. Good luck.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Lol you can't do serious editing on a MBA. If you read the specs or read around the forums, you'll see it has a ULV processor and a ULV HD3000.

Now for serious work I can't really state as I have the baseline MBP but your BEST bang for buck option would be to get a baseline 15 inch and upgrade the RAM yourself (to 8 gigs or something).

You get a discrete graphics card which will help with the rendering and you'll have a larger, (higher if you want) resolution as well.

You'll be working in your room, in classrooms, in coffee shops, and in the library. You want something that will be able to do everything you throw at it along with being portable and not weighing you down.

I think you'll be fine for years with the 15 inch.

Now of course you could just get a good netbook to use to take to class with you and keep the 15 inch or iMac at home, however I would suggest just getting a 15 inch MBP and having that (and an external monitor if you like) be your main machine.

4. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd go for the Low-end 15" MBP Hi-Res Screen & 7200RPM HDD.

5. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Agreed, those who can utilize the air really don't have to ask if they should get it vs something else.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's like saying "Those who can utilize a compact car really don't have to ask if they should get it vs anything else."

You do realize how flawed that logic is right?