MBA or MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imbalant, Sep 5, 2011.

1. imbalant macrumors newbie

I've been looking for answers for quite som time now but I am still not sure.

I hope there is someone who can answer my questions (have experience with them)

I want to buy a macbook and the MBA is first priority if it can handle the programs I am using

School programs I study to be an engeneer, we use some programs who only run in windows so I want to know if programs like photoshop and simulation programs (multisim and visual studio 2010) can run through vmware fairly.

Games can you run starcraft 2 good on low settings? and counter-strike(if then on how many fps)?

It is not because I use the games so much but just so I can get an idea on how good the MBA is.
    So if the MBA can not run theese programs okay I'll just by the MBP :)

Thx

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

For game and intensive simulations you may be better off installing Windows through Bootcamp rather than VMWare. That way you're truly running Windows and Windows apps directly on the hardware.

Visual Studio should run just fine in VMWare I would think.

Once you install a copy of Windows in Bootcamp you can still load it up in VMWare if you want to do something lightweight. Then if you need more performance you can reboot into native Windows.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The MBA will run them. The MBP can run them better. You don't get a MBA because it runs better than a MBP. You get a MBA because it's more portable.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Power vs Portability buddy.
    It depends on what you use it for and where.

I sometimes carry my 17in MBP rather than my MBA when I need more power.

5. hystery macrumors member

Is there any noticeable difference between MBA 13" Ultimate and MBP 13" Ultimate?

6. imbalant thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's power vs portability, I am just not sure if the MBA is good enough for my demands.
    I love the design and size of it and know that i would love it. It just depends on the compromises that I have to make.