MBA or MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rutledjw, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rutledjw macrumors member

OK kids, I'm typing this message on a BLACK MacBook (yes, that old, you'll run out of fingers on the one hand...). It needs to be replaced. It's been a trooper and has tolerated some serious abuse, but the time is nigh.

I do some coding and use OmniGraffle extensively. I also travel for work quite a bit. The screen on my Black MacBook is a little small for Graffle and the toolbars and such. When I can, I attach an external LCD of no small size (go big or...). For folks in my situation, will the 15" MBP be THAT much preferable to the 13" MBA? After playing with them at the Apple store, I'm still torn.

I really like the size and weight of the Air, but thinking the screen size of the Pro will be better. I'm thinking a 17" Pro is simply too big.

Also, I don't NEED to do the replacement RIGHT now, I'm hoping the old guy can hang on until the next generation comes out - but there are some bad signs, so I'm getting ready (and running daily backups).

Thoughts?

2. jj48 macrumors regular

Ahhh the eternal question. My opinion: go for the air. Either way I doubt you'll regret your decision.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think screen real estate is the major factor and if you're planning on buying sooner then later you may regret constrained into a smaller display.

4. rutledjw thread starter macrumors member

And that's what I'm thinking as well... I suppose a 15" MBA is too much to wish for? Either way, I'm trying to hold out until the next refresh, but random-acts-of-shutdown and a dubious SuperDrive have me nervous.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are rumors that apple is readying a 15" MBA, but who knows when that will be. That's why I mentioned sooner then later for your purchase. Its conceivable that apple will be waiting for Ivy Bridge (due out April/May) to unveil a 15" MBA. If you can way the 5 or 6 months you may get your wish of a 15" MBA.

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The total pixel count on the 15 inch with the higher resolution screen is what like 36 percent larger? ( 1680 x 1050 versus 1440 x 900 I think ).

That is a substantial difference ... how often do you work without an external monitor available?

A lot of us hoping to see an 15 inch macbook air with ( hopefully ) a larger maximum memory ( 8gb? 16 gb ? ) and a higher resolution display in 2012.

7. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I had the same dilemma, and purchased the mbp 15" with the hd display. It's perfect for me (programming in Xcode), and really is a wonderful computer. That said, I still stare jealously at people with airs. Also, Apple may well introduce a 15" computer with a thinner form factor in the first half of this year.

8. rutledjw thread starter macrumors member

Well, and those are good points... If I'm client-side maybe 1/2 the time I have any kind of external - otherwise 100%. But it goes in ebbs and flows. After this week, I'm remote full time for another 6-12 weeks, then ??? It's those occasional times when I'm lacking it that I REALLY notice it.

I am VERY much on board with the higher memory though! That would be a huge help...

9. christurbo macrumors regular

I've recently moved from a 15" i5 MBP to the new i5 MBA and do not regret it one bit. The extra screen resolution offsets screen size, also the responsive pinch to zoom function is a breeze to use.

10. Kungshi macrumors member

In my experience between 13" and 15" I've found there isn't much difference. In this case factors such a portability, battery life, and power may play into your decision making. My biggest concern was portability and thats why I chose the Air. Spend some more time in an Apple store if you can. The 15" may end up being just enough extra to make a difference for you where as it isn't for me.