MBA or MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dwburnell, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dwburnell macrumors regular

hey everyone,

I have a 2011 mac mini as my primary computer, but my fiance is looking into writing a book so we are needing something more portable as well for a second computer. I was looking between the basic 13" MBA and the basic 13" MBP. From my research they look the exact same spec wise except for the SSD in the MBA and the standard HDD in the pro. The primary use would be her writing in Office or iWork, and maybe some Starcraft on my end. I also just purchased Logic pro for my mini, but would like to use it on the go if I could. Thanks for the help!

As a side note, she has a 1st gen ipad and i have the new one. Should we even consider a laptop since we have these?

2. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Writing papers is usually more relaxing if you're on the couch, table, or at a coffee shop when you're out and about. Taking that into consideration the Air is a much better candidate for the job imo. I know I wouldn't want to lug with me the much heavier MBP wherever I go, too inconvenient to do so.

Can't speak for SC2, but the 2012 MBAir's HD4000 is quite capable provided you don't really have very high expectations.

The iPad can nicely compliment your existing needs, but cannot replace what you ultimately want to do on a laptop.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I'd go for the macbook air it's alot faster, lighter and a better resolution display.

4. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1

I was thinking about the 13" Pro too but the Resolution is why I went with Air.

5. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

macbook air for sure.

The Pro is out.

What's the book about?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The 13" pro, IMO, is the worst of all of the macs....by time you replace the SSD and add more RAM, you would have been better off getting the 15" with much better specs if you need the power of a pro. If not, you would have been much better off buying a 13" air :)

7. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Exactly. My friend and I always joke that the 13" Macbook/Pro always gets shafted. He has a 2008 13" Macbook, right before they called it "Pro." Lol.

8. jojoba macrumors 68000

9. dwburnell thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the advice! I think I will be going with the air. Does anyone know if I can use logic pro on the air or if I should just stick to using the mini?

10. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The system requierements for Logic seem to work with the macbook air. http://www.apple.com/logicpro/specs/

Chances are you will want an external drive to save your projects.

11. pgiguere1, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I have Logic Pro 9 on my 2011 MBA and it runs fine. You're going to need the extra screen estate of the MBA over the MBP for Logic. The SSD makes the MBA a lot faster too. Unless you need the extra storage or DVD drive the MBA is the clear winner for your needs. I used to own a 13" MBP and the resolution feels too low for most music software.

By the way my 2011 MBA plays Starcraft II at good framerates at low and an unstable 30ish at medium. With the 2012 model which has a better GPU you will probably be able to play at Medium with a pretty good framerate.