MBA or MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danish1542, Jan 18, 2008.

1. danish1542 macrumors member

I am selling my stupid dell xps laptop and completely ready to switch over to a mac. I was hoping for something perfect to come out at macworld but of course i am stumped. My question is: should i get the macbook air or a macbook pro? im a college student and i honestly only use my computer for internet, email, word processing and music for the most part. I know youre going to say just get a macbook, but i like the new features of the MBA and i can afford the SSD MBA or a really good MBP. What do you think? thanks for your input...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say get the MacBook. The MBA and MBP are two very different machines. If you just need a computer then the Macbook is for you.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

If money is not an object, then I would go with the MBA. I had a 12" iBook for 3 years in college and it was extremely portable (even carried it around with me in Europe for a month). I have a 15" MBP now, and while it is portable, I don't carry it around with me like I used to carry my iBook.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if money isn't a problem, get a macbook air along with a time capsule.

edit: and an external display.

edit #2: and this.

5. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

The MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are completly different, I would think a better question would be MacBook or MacBook Air (both small). The Air is missing too many features that a Pro user would need (like firewire).

6. danish1542 thread starter macrumors member

so pretty much what youre saying is i wouldnt even need a macbook pro with what i am going to be using the computer for. i have a 2.16 ghz core duo processor in my dell right now, is the 1.8 ghz core 2 duo comparable?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I wouldn't want an MBA as my primary computer. If you already had an iMac or 17" MBP then ok. But for a primary, I feel the MBA is a little lean on performance.

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

You don't need much of anything to do what you need to do. An iPhone could handle everything except the word processing. You'd be fine with any of them. If I were in your position, I'd get an MBA. I'm not in your position though, and I need a much more powerful computer so I have an MBP.

9. jdr70 macrumors newbie

Go macbook air. Sounds like you don't have any need for a pro.

Good luck.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

If money is not an issue, but performance is, get a MBP. More power, more standard features, for a modest price bump over the MBA.

If money is not an issue, but style/novelty is, get a MBA.

If money is an issue, get a MB. Cheapest of the three, and second most powerful.

YMMV.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're trying to decide between an MBA and an MBP, you don't need either, and should just get a Macbook.

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

do you feel you 'll be carrying around this laptop a lot? if so get the mba, if not get the macbook pro, If the mba is enough for your needs then macbook pro is overkill, then again, a simple macbook probably would be too.LOL i dont blame you tough, if i had the money on me right now i woudl totally buy a MBP just because, my MB is alreayd overkill for what i do..