MBA or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grimreaper1377, Sep 12, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I'm kind of in a dilemma here. I bought a macbook pro last week, but foundnout that it was defective since it would go up to 120 degrees. I took it into the genius bar, and they said that I could swap it out for another. But now I'm considering an Air since it's much lighter and I have an iMac at home to do some more heavy duty stuff. Any suggestions?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The performance decrease you'll see by going to the Air will be pretty big, I'd suggest sticking it out with the Macbook Pro or going for the top end Macbook.

3. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

Are you willing to buy and carry around the superdrive for the Air if you need it? I mean, you'll want to have the portability of the laptop too. More harddrive space on the Pro too... I'd say stick with the Pro

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Do you need the power of the Pro? I'm guessing not since you seem to be seriously considering the Air...If you needed more than the air, you could always check out the MacBook...

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get an MBA. If you want to do more than type out a few documents, surf the net, post at MacRumours, or listen to music, you can use your iMac.

If you didn't have the iMac already, or you seemed like a power user, my suggestion would be different.

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

+1

7. isethx macrumors regular

if i had an imac at home i'd go with the air to browse the net ect around the house... but that's just me!

8. bsolomonny macrumors regular

9. mac4matt macrumors member

Keep the Pro! I just bought one tonight from Best Buy. Great computer.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I say air, leave all of your heavy computing to the iMac.

11. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Agreed. Air is much lighter and you can carry it around very easily!;)

12. The Awesome macrumors member

If your iMac can do all the heavy lifting your MBP once did, I'd go with the Air.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hell, if you want more portability, I say go with something like an EeePC and put OSX on it. The huge "Hackintosh" thread may even have a few pointers in there on getting the OS working.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It seems to be the old power versus portability argument again; it largely depends on which feature you need most, the power of the MBP or the portability of the MBA. I'm a fan of the MBP - I have one and find it excellent - but the decision is yours and it will depend on which feature you feel you will need more.
    Cheers and good luck

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

And I'm gonna repeat a point that I've made in so many other threads here - the only viable reason to have a MacBook Pro over a MacBook is the GPU. If you aren't a hardcore gamer and don't do video editing then you will be totally fine with MacBook. Aside from the GPU they are just as powerful as each other.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would say that, for the vast majority of people's uses, this is totally true.

17. The Awesome macrumors member

True. CPUs, especially the dual core ones, never really reach 100% speed most of the time. With the MBA and MBP having the same default RAM... the GPU's the only big difference.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's a bold statement, even if it's not 100% accurate. ;)

I don't need the graphics card, but I want the higher resolution screen of the 15" MBP, FW800, and the larger LCD to go with my higher resolution screen (so I don't need to squint). I don't need FW right now, but I can see myself needing it later. In fact, if the 15" MBP were to be upgraded to 1600 x 1050 resolution, it would be even better. The MacBook sure has hell won't get that resolution any time soon.

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Right. I'm not a gamer and the GPU could be an Etch-A-Sketch for all I care, but I love the 17" screen and the backlit keyboard.
    And to weigh in the the original purpose of this thread - Air.

20. vikingdave macrumors member

Wait until October 14th, go with 4GB MacBook Air

I would wait until mid October. I highly expect 4GB MacBook Air with larger drives.

My ideal laptop would be a MacBook Air with 4GB RAM, and 250GB Samsung SSD that should be commonly available by year end.

21. The Awesome macrumors member

Yes! 4GB of RAM would be awesome since the RAM will still probably be soldered in the Air.

250GB SSD would be great, though not very possible. Expect something in the range of 80~100GB since the normal hard disks will be probably refreshed into the 120GB range.

22. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did you even read the original post? I do not think the OP is in a position to wait.