MBA or MBPr for Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gugy, Nov 4, 2014.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

I wondering if some of you can shed some light on my conundrum.

I need to get a laptop to use when I travel for work. I am between the MBA 11" or 13" or the MBPr 13".
    My work is mostly Photoshop(huge files up to 1gb)/Illustrator/Bridge open at all times. I am graphic designer. The size of screen is not a huge deal because I will have a TB display available when using this laptop.

I am wondering if I go the Air route adding more RAM would be enough. This is a secondary computer, my main work happens with a MacPro at 12 cores but I need to have an option when I travel.
    I like the price and size of the Air but the Retina 13" would have a better performance but in my situation I wonder if it is worth the price difference. I don't want to invest too much $$$ because this is a computer that will not see much use after all just 5 days every month.
    Thanks

2. Harry Muff macrumors regular

3. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Ouch, :D
    I know in terms of price/performance these are the best but again not sure I want to invest that much for a secondary computer that won't get that much use.

4. Potatochobit macrumors regular

look for a used 2012 but not 2011 with the radeon graphics

macbook air is not for serious work
    you also probably want 8GB or more and an SSD.

also, do you plan to carry your TB screen around with you when you travel?
    I suggest you rethink the 13" thing

5. Pjrufus, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I have a 15" mid-2012 MBP, 8GB memory, 251 flash storage, and it's been just fine with large PS files. I can't imagine working on those files with a smaller screen.

Did I understand you to say you'll have a TB available at the place you are traveling to?

6. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

The reason I contemplatin the 13" is because where do I travel to they have a TB display where I can hook a laptop.
    The main reason for me to purchase it, is because I can set the laptop like my MacPro with all the apps and preferences I like. Before they were giving me laptop loaners but it was a hassle because it never were optimized for my needs, that's why I am considering a laptop so I don't have to go through this hassle everytime.

----------

Yes. The screen size is not a huge factor.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

To actually answer the question

Go for the rMBP over the air for a few reasons.

Better CPU & GPU.

More connections for screens drives etc

The weight difference is negligible.

That screen really is fantastic and scalable...

Unless you need insane battery life the rMBP is a better deal.

8. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, thew rMBP 13" is very nice. If this was my main computer I would go for the 15" or wish they would bring back the 17".