MBA or new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Berardi3, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Berardi3 macrumors newbie

I am so confused between the two I want to purchase a new Mac I'm so finished with pc . Anyways which would be a better value the MBP 13or MBA 11.6 I want it for photography Internet e mail basically my main computer my pc is on it's last legs . Any opinions would be helpful

2. Boydbme macrumors member

Boydbme

I wrestled with the same thing all day. big issue for me was the resolution on the lower macbook pro.

Decided on the 13" pro with an SSD due to the greater performance of the processor over the macbook air. I have ordered 8GB of ram to install myself along with the optibay mod to replace the optical drive with an SSD. Basically trying to turn it into a macbook air on steroids. ; )

still bitter about the lower resolution but I work on a monitor at home anyways.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I fought with myself one month ago over this, and ended up with the 13" MBA regardless of what the 13" MBP would be (I sincerely thought the latter would get 1440x900 at least as an option). Now that I see what kind of "upgrade" the 13" MBP has gotten, I'm even more happy about my choice.

4. namtaB macrumors regular

I wouldn't get the MBA as a main computer unless I was on the road 24/7. If its getting light travel use but mostly desktop replacement I would get something with more RAM and more space. I love my MBA but I use it for work and go back and forth with it which is where the instant on and slim design come in handy.

5. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I have the current generation 13" MBA I wouldn't swap this for the new high-end MBP if Apple offered it to me for free. :D I'm amazed how well the 1.86 Ghz Core2Duo performs running apps like Adobe Photoshop CS5, Dreamweaver CS5 and Aperture. And no way could I go back to the 1280x800 display after using this baby.

6. namtaB macrumors regular

Yeah she's a beauty. I laugh when people rip on it for having the "old"
    CPU b/c the SSD makes it lightning fast plus I get longer battery life with the Core2Duo anyway.