MBA or rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rpearlberg, Aug 12, 2014.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I'm currently trying to decide on a new laptop and it's between the 13" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro (w/retina). Both of them are on the "Best" list.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-laptop/

I have both and need to return one of them this week. I don't travel too often so portability isn't a huge issue. The Pro is a half pound heavier, but the footprint is actually smaller than the Air.
    This is mainly for email, web-surfing, watching TV/movies, iPhoto, iTunes, etc.

Any thoughts on which you'd keep? I got good deals on both (with discounts/coupons/rewards).

Air: 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD ($935)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...=1581949&productCategoryId=pcmcat247400050001

Pro: 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD ($1,080)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...skuId=6293168&st=macbook pro retina&cp=1&lp=1

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go for the rMBP.
    More memory, faster CPU, better GPU and a much better display (retina).

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Those prices :eek: you got good deals!
    Like maflynn wrote, for that small price difference the pro is the better deal.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I started out with the Air, but it didn't take long before the lack of storage was driving me insane. Go with the Pro. As maflynn said "More memory, faster CPU, better GPU and a much better display (retina)."

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Keep the Pro and drop the price of the Air you have in Marketplace. ;)

6. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha! If I drop the price I'm better off just returning it to Best Buy!

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That IS the correct answer, and you might consider disclosure of that fact in your listing. Note that warranty begins the date of your purchase, not when someone turns it on.

And if you got it for $935 no doubt others could as well.

8. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so $935 plus tax is $995. Others are also having trouble using the edu and movers coupons. I'm not making any money off the deal, just seeing if anyone wants it for what I paid.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just as an FYI - At my local Best Buy it's $1049.99. Subtract edu of $100 and mover coupon and with tax it's about $920.

Main point is that more disclosure in Marketplace is better - you might add a copy of the receipt to the pictures.

10. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's a good price! That almost makes me rethink keeping the rMBP....