Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
If I order a new MBA now, Apple's site is showing delivery by Jan 5-12 which is at least 20 days away. If I buy with trade in, it looks like I have 14 days to send my machine in. When does the 14 days clock start ticking?
(a) From the time the order is placed?
(b) From the time the box for the trade in is received?
(c) From the time I take delivery of my new machine?
(d) Something else?

If anyone has experience or knowledge about this, please share. My original intent was to buy online and pick up in store so that this would not be an issue, but my local stores seem to be completely out of 512 GB models. I would like to have some time with the new machine (at least a week) before I make the call that I'm keeping it and can send out the trade in.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
If it's anything like the iPhone trade-in, which I'm fairly confident it is, you have 14 days after you receive the kit, which is only shipped after your MBA is shipped.

Here's the verbiage from the email (I did in-store pickup and thought the trade-in would happen in-store, but I wound up having to wait for the kit): "Thanks for using Apple Trade In. Once your new device ships, our partner will send you a trade-in kit. You’ll have 14 days to return your current device once you receive your kit."

Reactions: ghanwani

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, it's 14 days after you receive the "trade-in" kit which is basically a shipping box with a FedEx label on it. Generally, they won't even ship you the box until about 4 days after you receive your new computer. At least that's how it worked for me.

Reactions: ghanwani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.