Resolved MBA + Parallels 7 Coherence?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HeadGear, Feb 24, 2012.

1. HeadGear, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

HeadGear macrumors member

Just bought a MBA last week from the Apple store and purchased Parallels 7 & Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. For some reason I can't get access to Coherence mode and the screen when in Full Screen mode has 2 inch black borders on each side. Any ideas?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Have you tried updating Parallels Desktop? There have been some updates to version 7 to address various issues. I have that same setup and it works fine. Does Full Screen mode work? Try putting it in that mode first, and then switch to Coherence.

3. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Parallels is fully updated, I've tried Full Screen which works and then Coherence which is still disabled. Also went into Configuration and set Parallels up to start in Coherence when opened but it just takes it to regular view instead.

4. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Mine works fine - but in 32bit. I've never tried it in 64bit as all my previous Win7 installations have been 32bit.

6. lanspawlo macrumors newbie

Get out of full screen first, so that it's just in a window before turning it into coherence mode.

7. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

I've done this several times. Found on Parallels to activate the software (I've done this step 3x as well). Is anyone else getting the 2 black bars on each side when in full screen.

8. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I do not have any bars, although I cannot go full screen when in coherence.

For coherence, try just dragging a Windows application outside of the Parallels window onto your OSX desktop. I believe that should throw it into Coherence mode as well if the switch is not working.

9. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

So called Parallels and they said all that I needed to do was install "Parallels Tools" and it would fix it. They were right, I hate when it's something that easy.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Usually that installs automatically. In any case, it's good that you got it resolved. Parallels Tools is a set of drivers designed to make Windows operate properly within the virtual environment. When running in Parallels Desktop (or any virtual environment), Windows doesn't see your Mac's actual hardware the way it does in Boot Camp. It sees a "virtual" hardware profile that is emulated. Parallels Tools helps it operate properly.

11. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, thanks for further clarification.