MBA / Parallels / Windows 7...A Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JoelBC, Dec 1, 2012.

1. JoelBC, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I finally got around to spending some time configuring my i7 / 8 GB/ 256 GB SSD MBA...I started by setting up OS X and all its settings...I then installed Parallels 8 and Windows 7...

I will use this thread to document my experience with Parallels / Windows 7...I have experienced two issues / problems that I would appreciate help with:

1. Parallels and Folders The USER folder now has two subfolders, the first is named APPLICATIONS, the second is names APPLICATIONS (PARALLELS)...these folders were clearly added as part of the Parallels installation the process...the two things I would like to know are:

a) Can then be removed noting that at present I have no desire / need to share my Windows Applications with OS X or vice-versa; and

b) What are the folders for?

2. Parallels and Scanning The Windows 7 install went without a hitch...the printer / scanner drivers installed without a hitch...the scanner software does not work in that the scanning process starts but the scanner/software does not detect the paper in the loader [i.e. a message appears to the effect that there is no paper in the loader and to load the paper and then press New Scan again]. There is no problem with the scanner as it works flawlessly from a native Windows 7 machine.

Any ideas / solutions?

*****​

Thanks for all the help,

Joel

2. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to expand this thread to list all the Windows to OS X issues that I am experiencing...in addition to those noted above I am also having the trouble with the following none of which are related to Parallels but possibly related to using an NTFS formatted drive :

1. iTunes I have all of my iTunes music -- and there is a lot of it -- stored on WD NAS device which is NTFS formatted...I have also installed NTFS for OS X so that I can read and write to the NAS drive [I have tested this]...I have "pointed" iTunes to the NAS device...the problem, I can not get iTunes to load my music...for whatever reason:

a) It is does not appear under "Music" as it does with a Windows PC. This is a total PITA as well as a total surprise.

b) It tries to appear under a shared device but alas, it fails to do so in that the cog wheel just spins and spins but nothing happens.

c) To me it seems as though iTunes is not pointing at the NAS drives as it is continually creating an iTunes file structure within the OS X /User/Music/ folder.

2. Time Machine I have been unable to get the same WD NAS device to work as a time machine backup drive which I know is possible as others have been successful.

I can see the volume, I can read the volume and I can write to the volume...I even tried following the following instructions http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/ but "hung" at point / stage of copying the "sparse bundle" to my NAS.

****​

Thanks for the help,

Joel

3. FHayek macrumors member

Joel,

As a new Apples and P8 user, I was curious when I saw this on my machine. I spoke with the folks at Parallels about this as well as an independent Apple consultant. I was told it has something to do with the way I configured the software when I set it up. The people at Parallels suggested that I not fool around with it, the Apple consultant thought the folder named Applications, the non appended one, was created every time Parallels is opened/turned on etc.

When I click on Applications (USER->HOME->Applications), I get an folder called Windows 7 Applications and it's empty. When looking at the "Get Info" on the Applications folder, it says it's only 402kb in size. If you click on User->HOME->Applications (Parallels) folder, you'll get a Windows 7 Application folder with lots of Windows software such as notepad, excel etc.

I did a test and deleted the Applications Folder, not the one labeled Applications (Parallels) and when I re-opened Parallels, the folder called Applications was recreated in the same spot it previously existed.

Thats all I know. Good luck.

FH

4. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the response...

I hate when applications create folders unnecessarily as may be the case with the APPLICATIONS folder as I have found no use for it...

The two other points to note are:

1. The APPLICATIONS (PARALLELS) folder is -- as you note -- a list of the Windows applications that exist in the Parallels virtual machine...this list does NOT appears should you elect to *NOT* share your Windows applications in OS X.

2. The folders may appear -- and my memory is not as good as it use to be given that I am nearing 50 -- because of the setup option to share / not share the Parallel VMs with other users.

Thanks for the input,

Joel