MBA PCIe SSD: convert to internal SATA?

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Folks,

I'm going to get the SATA3 240GB OWC SSD for my 2011 MBA and wanted to use my 128GB stock SATA2 SSD on a Hackintosh as a boot drive.

What's the form factor for the SSD? Is it a 5cm or 7 cm PCIe card? On the assumption that it's a 7 (also known as mSATA?), would this work to convert it to an internal drive form factor?

eBay Link

Please let me know, or recommend something else I can buy to use my MBA SSD card in a desktop as a SATA2 boot drive.

JP

Last edited:

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Folks,

I'm going to get the SATA3 240GB OWC SSD for my 2011 MBA and wanted to use my 128GB stock SATA2 SSD on a Hackintosh as a boot drive.

What's the form factor for the SSD? Is it a 5cm or 7 cm PCIe card? On the assumption that it's a 7 (also known as mSATA?), would this work to convert it to an internal drive form factor?

eBay Link

Please let me know, or recommend something else I can buy to use my MBA SSD card in a desktop as a SATA2 boot drive.

JP
You should ask OWC (and report back to this thread) :) I bet they'll know...

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
You should ask OWC (and report back to this thread) :) I bet they'll know...
Actually Matthew, I did. It was not helpful - basically, they don't offer ANY product which converts your MBA SSD into an internal SATA drive. They have solutions for external, yes. Their high-end enclosure even has eSATA, which would work if nothing else was available - but it's pricey.

I'm looking to plug my MBA SSD into a SATA port on a desktop and use it as a boot drive. I think the eBay link above will work, but I can't verify. Please, if anyone has had experience with this, reply here.

Thanks!

JP

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Update

Ok, big update here...

I spoke to OWC again and got a much more helpful human. It turns out that the pinouts for the Apple SSD are proprietary (different from mSATA). Also, it's 110mm long, which makes it a different size (longer) than a 2.5" drive.

BUT, there's a card that is specifically designed to do this - and it's $20 shipped on eBay. Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-MACBOOK-AIR-mc505-mc506-64G-128G-256G-ssd-to-3-5-SATA-5V-3-3V-Adapter-New-/320957825547?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4aba93c20b#ht_2482wt_1165

Enjoy!:cool: